Author Topic: Aims Transfer Switch Question  (Read 1104 times)

Bigbear

Aims Transfer Switch Question
« on: September 15, 2006, 12:09:10 PM »
Sorry, I first posted this in the Mechanical Section.  I run across this fair priced transfer switch and wondered if anyone knows anything about them.  It is the AIMS Mobile Rapid 3 Way Automatic Transfer Switch 30 amp, for about 230 bucks.  I want to use it to transfer generator power (ac) to the house when the generator is used to charge the batteries.  Right now the 7000 watt generator only runs the 40 amp charger and the ac load at the house is still running on the inverter, so we are not able to take the load off the batteries while charging.  Any advice on this model would be appreciated, before I buy one.  Thanks, BEAR
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 12:09:10 PM by (unknown) »

Bigbear

Re: Aims Transfer Switch Question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 10:49:58 AM »
Well, I guess no body else has had any experience with this transfer switch.  At any rate, I did place an order for one today.  I will post the good or bad news in a couple months.  BEAR
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 10:49:58 AM by (unknown) »

Bigbear

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 06:16:46 AM »
Finally got the transfer switch hooked up last night, but it has a problem.  When I start the generator, it trips the GFI.  Made sure + and - were correct and all grounds were made, but it still trips as soon as the generator comes on line.   Could the transfer switch not be set up to work on a GFI?  Any ideas would be appreciated.  BEAR
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 06:16:46 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 05:58:26 AM »
Neutral and Ground are the same in the service box. But they need to be separate after that or the GFCI will trip.

I expect you have some power going in the ground, the GFCI sees it and trips like it should. Some small inverters do the same thing.

Start looking at separating the ground and neutral. Sorry, thats all I can tell you.

G-

« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 05:58:26 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Bigbear

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 12:12:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply G-, not sure about power going to ground, but the GFI was causing the problem.  I hooked up another generator without a GFI and it works perfect.  The Aims has a hot, and neutral lug for each of the 3 incoming powers, (generator, city power, inverter)but they all share a common ground point, and I would guess the generator GFI, see's this as a fault.  Not sure what is going on, but all is working fine with a non GFI generator hookup.  Sure is nice having generator power in the house when the batteries are charging, makes you feel guilty, cause you can turn on all the lights, tv, radio etc and not be pulling power from the batteries.  Even the wife said it's just not right to have that many things on at one time.  BEAR
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 12:12:37 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 03:28:27 PM »
'Bear' with me.  :)

I'm going out on a limb with this. Probably why you didn't get another answer.

The GFI did what it is supposed to. You sent power to the 'grid breaker box' (know what I mean?).  The neutral in the box is tied to ground. Part of the power was traveling from neutral to ground to get back to the generator.

When that happens, the GFI trips.

For all it knows, YOU are conducting the differance to ground. So it trips. Like it should. Maybe saving your life or your home.

Simplistic explaination.  But thats where the problem lies.  

Do not disconnect the ground from the breaker box because that is asking for big-time troubles.

It would be good to get a good electrician to have a look at it.  There is a lot of potential for real trouble.  And there are too many things to check over the internet.

G-

« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 03:28:27 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Bigbear

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 05:58:46 AM »
G- I must have misled you some where along the line, I never intended to unhook the ground in the breaker box.  All plugins in the house are grounded, and the ones that are close to water are GFI, the way they should be.  They will not work unless they have a ground and wired properly.  I did ask an electrictian friend of mine, last night, about the problem.  He said GFI's just act stupid some times, but he thought when the transfer switch checks the new incoming power (generator), to see if it is better than the inverter, it confuses the GFI and it trips.  He checked to see all ground, neutral, and hot wires were correct and they were.  When he put a meter on the system, when everything was off, it showed nothing, except the power all GFI's pull to monitor with.  He says it's OK to run as is, because everything is grounded, fused, bonded and GFI's where needed.  I did call the Aims company, and they said they had never heard of that, but they also said most generators do not have GFI's.  They also said this was a new transfer switch, and maybe they had not taken in to account for generators with a GFI.  At any rate, I feel safe in running it the way it is.  Thanks, BEAR
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 05:58:46 AM by (unknown) »