Author Topic: 36 Volt Charger Schematic  (Read 10617 times)

power453c

36 Volt Charger Schematic
« on: October 22, 2006, 02:40:40 AM »
I need a charger to charge up some very large deep cycles wired up for 36 volts.  I do not want to pay many hundreds of dollars for one.  As I am a do It myself kind of person I would like to build one.  Can anyone suggest a schematic for such a circuit?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 02:40:40 AM by (unknown) »

drdongle

Re: 36 Volt Charger Schematic
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 08:30:32 AM »
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 08:30:32 AM by (unknown) »

Nando

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 10:53:46 AM »
No enough information, "very large" does not say what type of current is needed to charge the battery bank in certain number of hours.

Detail what you have including the power charging source to be able to suggest soltuions to your needs.

If You keep your data secret, then the only suggestion for You will be secret, as well, and You will not know it.

Nando

« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 10:53:46 AM by (unknown) »

power453c

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 02:47:07 PM »
THe amp hour ratings are 300 amps.  I have a very nice tranformer that can do the job.  It came out of a charger that did the job initaly.  It's just as it's control circuitry is gone smokey.  I just need to know how to make the current monitor, regulate, terminate, and float the charge cycle.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 02:47:07 PM by (unknown) »

power453c

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 03:03:21 PM »
THe amp hour ratings are 300 amps.  I have a very nice tranformer that can do the job.  It came out of a charger that did the job initaly.  It's just as it's control circuitry is gone smokey.  I just need to know how to make the current monitor, regulate, terminate, and float the charge cycle.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 03:03:21 PM by (unknown) »

Nando

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 05:21:38 PM »
Supply the transformer information to see what can be done.

One solution is to use SCR's for charging from discharge level to float and may be including Bulk charging level and to have a small charger at V-float to keep the bank well charged.

What other parts do you have good from the smoked charger ?.

Nando

« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 05:21:38 PM by (unknown) »

power453c

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 05:57:17 PM »
Thanks for the response Nando.  I have an analog amp meter off this thing.  

The original circuit was based that when you plug in the battery and the charger the charging would automaticlaly start and end.  It seems the only way of terminating is from a relay.  The relay cuts off power to the tranformer but not the control circuit.

I would prefer to either use a relay or a mosfet to control the current flow.  The real problem I have been having on my circuit though is regulating the voltage.  The original circuit did not.  It just passed 120ac to a transformer then outcomes 44ac to a half wave rectifier and out to the battery. Not even any filtration.

The intersting part though is that this transformer has more than one output.  That is not so unordinary execpt.  One of the outputs is 250vac and it is terminated to a 20Uf 330ac cap.  It doesn't seem to be used for anything else.  Then there are two outputs each rated 45vac.  This transformer Measures 4 inches tall 6 inches long 5inches wide.

I'm not sure of its total output current.  The original circuit was rated at 30 amps at 36vdc.

How do I control some scr's to give me the desired turn on and off?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 05:57:17 PM by (unknown) »

Nando

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 03:53:27 PM »
What you have is a transformer that have several windings;

see and read the message :

- Re: Interesting Discovery

The same or equivalent unit that had an output set for the 36 volts battery supply.

Still, I asked what other parts You got and you have not replied with an answer.

You may have big diodes rectifiers, and for sure large capacitors for the resonant section of the regulating transformer.

36 Volts at 30 amps capability as you read the info.

The charger was based in a regulated 46 volts to give a 56 volts charging voltage that when charged a relay may have tripped to disconnect the input power, no need to disconnect anything else.

One simple way is to use two rectifiers and two SCRs to charge the battery bank up to and including bulk charging then drop to Float charge.

Are You SURE that is a half way rectifier ?.

Normally, full way rectification would have been for the charger the best arrangement, specially for a Resonant regulated transformer.

A small circuit to trigger the SCRs to regulate the output voltage and current.

Are you going to charge 36 or 48 volts battery bank ?.

If 48 volts ( 56 volts peak) then You need to make some measurements.

Nando

« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 03:53:27 PM by (unknown) »