Author Topic: Looking at Charge Controllers  (Read 1206 times)

Devo

Looking at Charge Controllers
« on: December 05, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »
I am looking at getting a bigger charge controller.This is the write up for the one I am considering as I would like to change from 12 to 48 volts within the next year.

What is load controlling that it talks about?

Item Description

Morningstar's newest controller, the TriStar is a three function controller that provides reliable solar battery charging, load control or diversion regulation. This controller operates in any one of these three modes at one time. Multiple controllers may be used in the same system to provide multiple functions. This unit will integrate into the rest of your system as it uses standardized knockout spacing. It will directly replace a Xantrex C-series controller.

All units will operate at 12/24/48V. Integrated serial port allows connection to a computer for programming, data logging and remote monitoring or control. Internal dip switches allow you to choose from preset configurations. LED indicators provide basic status information. Optional digital meter displays extensive system information. Fully protected against reverse polarity, short, over current, high temperature, and over voltage.

Thanks for input

Devin

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 12:57:00 PM by (unknown) »

ZooT

Re: Looking at Charge Controllers
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 10:29:15 AM »
A load controller shuts the juice off if the batteries get too low to avoid damaging an expensive battery bank.......
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:29:15 AM by (unknown) »

Titantornado

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 11:21:40 AM »
Well, I really like the MPPT controllers, especially the Outback.  In my case, I'll be building a house, and while doing so, I'll be living in an RV.  I already have my 24v Sharp solar panels, and with the RV being 12 volt, the MPPT makes the systems compatible.  The plan for the house, is a 24v system, but again, I could up it to 48v quite easily using the Outback.  It's nice to be able to series up the panels and run a higher voltage back to the controller with lower losses, and convert it to what you need.  It's a very flexible controller, but, not having a "dump load control" (at leat I don't think it does) makes it not well suited for wind turbines.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 11:21:40 AM by (unknown) »

Birdmanjack

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 12:36:17 PM »
I have the Xantrex C40 controller which covers 12,24 or 48 volts. It has built in diversion and if hooked up to batteries backwards shuts down. You can buy the meter for the front separate that tells you just whats happening with voltage amps and a few other things. I don't know how big a unit amps wise you need but this works good for me. The price on e-bay was about $130.00. Got it hooked to batteries and when charged it sends the rest to my electric hot water heater.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 12:36:17 PM by (unknown) »

Devo

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »
Thanks Birdman I was looking at that as well but I have seen 70 to 80 amps So I was thinking about the 60 amp range & setting the furling a little earlier , I am about to start 2 more , I thought I would wind them for 48 volts & then switch the other 2 as well but the 60 amp from them is only 12 & 24 volt....

Devin

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 05:13:00 PM by (unknown) »

Birdmanjack

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 01:58:00 PM »
It will take up to 85 amps or untill it gets warm then it will shut down and restart. Gives it time to cool down and reset. If you have a diversion it should be ok if set up right. I swear by it. I was never sorry I bought it. Thinking of getting another for my other mill.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 01:58:00 PM by (unknown) »

Devo

Re:Birdmanjack
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 05:24:37 PM »
Are you saying the C-40 12/24/48 volt charge controller will handle 80 amps at 12-15 volts?

Thanks

Devin

« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 05:24:37 PM by (unknown) »