Author Topic: huge ups  (Read 1021 times)

libra

huge ups
« on: December 05, 2006, 04:51:12 PM »
I have aquired a 5kw ups that requires 48v dc

Apparently this thing is computer controlled etc but anyway my generator is 24v and the battery bank is the same.

IS there any way to use this other than reconfiguring the battery bank and rewinding the stator?

Libra

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 04:51:12 PM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

Re: huge ups
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 01:03:48 PM »
What do you have? More info would be helpful. I have a Matrix 5000, sinewave 3750watts as I recall.

Anyway I think you will have to wire up a battery bank to be 48V to run it. That's allot of amps comming out of the batteries if you start putting heavy loads on it like any where near 3-5kw! I don't think there's going to be any easy or cheap way to boost volts from 24v to 48v that would handle that many amps for running it.

Probably many ways to boost the volts from the genny without making a new stator though. If you have an AC output you can get to maybe boost the volts with a transformer then rectifie to DC, make sure the transformer can handle the max or more that the genny can put out. You might be able to just tap into the batteries and charge them as 2 sets of 24v each leaving the genny as is.

Probably more info is needed for a better answer. Like what is the 5KW UPS, are you wanting to use it full time, use it part time and keep an existing 24V system for full time, type of genny, etc...

My Matrix 5000 has a large no load draw of about 136watts from the 48V bank when turned on and no loads being powered. If your planning fulltime use of yours you may want to check that also.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 01:03:48 PM by (unknown) »

libra

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 02:00:11 PM »
 Well I took another look and this looks German made. It is  Bestpower UT5k,

125 ac  30 amp power plug and  (4) 12v not so large  batteries.

Looks impressive but never thought about a high current idle.  Also is 230v ac outlet

Guess I could reconfigure the b bank, but not sure how to redo the genny for 48v.

Oh well guess it will go into the back shed and I'll learn more as I go.

Thanks for the reply

Libra

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 02:00:11 PM by (unknown) »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 09:36:23 AM »
Libra;

You might want to go to their websute and have a look at the info there. There are several different types and sizes and the info there will also let you download (free) the controlling software.

Usually the product packet also has the wiring layout for the batteries. If they are anything like APC , you can follow the wiring and by using large diodes split up the batteries for charging.

If it is the smallest one which uses little 12Vdc 7Ah batts you shouldn't have any problem up grading to ones that hold 5 times that charge.

Good luck and becareful

Bruce S

« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:36:23 AM by (unknown) »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

go4it

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 02:07:16 PM »
If your generator and chargins system are all 24V would it not be possible to charge the 12v batterise in banks of two with the use of some diodes to seperate the two voltages.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 02:07:16 PM by (unknown) »