Author Topic: Multiple dump loads  (Read 953 times)

Phssthpok

Multiple dump loads
« on: March 04, 2007, 10:20:26 PM »
After doing a bit of searching I've finally gotten a grasp on how dump loads work to keep the battery bank from getting overcharged. My power source is solar heavy at the moment, with only the little Ametek mill as an aside. I recently scored some more panels which places my max solar capacity at 1.3Kw. (yes....I have over 1000w of solar)

At full output that much power is a bit too much for my batteries to handle, even with a few (non-dump) loads going. Pushing close to 90 amps at full output, and not wanting to invest in muliple charge controllers (which would waste energy potential anyway by 'shutting off' the solar) I'm thinking that a dump load is the way to go. The batteries will remain charged, and I can put the extra power to use in a water heater or other such utilitarian use.

That being said, here's the meat of the question:

Is is possible to use a single CC (say, a C60) to control not only a trditional dump load (say, a 12v DC water heater element) but also an AC dump load? The way I understand it, the CC passes the DC current through itself from the batteries to the DC dumpload. How, then, could one use an AC load to burn off extra power....or can one?

If possible I'd like to get the CC to switch on my small (520w) window air conditioner as a dump load during the summer months, when sunlight is plentiful, and temperatures soar. Sure would be nice to be able to enter a cool(er) home at the end of the day after hours of toiling in the summer sun.

Is this even possible, or am I living a pipe dream?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 10:20:26 PM by (unknown) »

Nando

Re: Multiple dump loads
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 04:05:47 PM »
C40 or C60 can handle a relay to turn the AC, this is the only way to do it.

the relay can be a regular electromagnetic relay or a solid state relay (SSR) which does not have contacts.

The relay or SSR should have a current handling of at least 5 times the running current of the air conditioner.

If you want space heating my recommendations is to have high voltage type, like 120 Volts, which gives more versatility.

Your 90 amps, seems to be for 12 volts or am I wrong ?.

For such high current you may need several controllers, like 2 each C60.

For proper operation of the air conditioner you may think that you need to have the DC side of the DC/AC Inverter stabilized with a battery for the air conditioner to work easily.

The DC/AC Inverter current handling capability to be around 5 times the air conditioner running current.

With so much solar panel watts available then, you should think that the battery bank to be 24 or 48 volts ( preferable 48 volts) for much higher efficiency and better power transmission around the power source.

Nando

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 04:05:47 PM by (unknown) »