Author Topic: Solar PV charge controllers  (Read 1083 times)

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
Solar PV charge controllers
« on: March 14, 2007, 08:24:03 PM »
Hi all,

My plan:

I am planing on installing a 65 watt panel onto my van and am interested in others experience with different charge controllers.

My planed set up:

I have a 12 volt 65 watt panel and will be wanting to charge a 240 amp hour 12 volt battery bank made up of 10 x 24 amp hour 12 volt SLA gel batteries.  These batteries will be charged from the van on a spilt charge relay and maybe the same controller as the panel, or maybe another controller when driving.  My plan is to allow the panel to charge the batteries the rest of the time say when parked up at a camp site.

Questions:

What is the best charge controller i could use for such a set up?

Is there a charge controller that will deal with a panel and a second input from a 12 volt alternator?

What experience have you or others you know had with such controllers?

Of course cost will come into this, but worth the money overall?

Thanks for your input

Jonathan

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 08:24:03 PM by (unknown) »

AbyssUnderground

Re: Solar PV charge controllers
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 02:25:34 PM »
I personally don't see why you can't use the same controller as the solar as long as it doesnt try to pull current over its maximum limit. With you having such a high Ah capacity then its likely it will draw a fair amount so a larger rating charge controller will be necessary if you decide to do it this way.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 02:25:34 PM by (unknown) »

Hank

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 06:43:48 PM »
I would imagine an inexpensive solar charge controler rated for about 7 amps should serve you well with that solar panel (panel will only put out about 4 amps). Having another charging source such as your alternator will not have any effect on this.

Basically when your battery voltage gets up to about 13.6 volts, from any source, the charge controller will disconnect your solar panels.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:43:48 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 11:45:10 PM »
SS-6
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 11:45:10 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller