Author Topic: 24 vdc American Bosch Generator  (Read 2239 times)

(unknown)

24 vdc American Bosch Generator
« on: March 18, 2007, 01:33:15 AM »
Hi Guys,

Newbie to Otherpower.com here.

I have a new American Bosch 24vdc 40 amp generator. It says it's a model GRC-2440-C218 and uses a RGR-2440 regulator. I do not have the regulator. It has a field and an armature terminal.

I plan to use this as my back-up battery charger and it is connected to a 2 1/2 hp gas engine.

The questions would be......

1. Anyone familar with this generator? If so, I am guessing at what RPM this thing will like. Have not found anything searching yet.
  2. Any suggestions for an existing regulator/controller or schematics for a homebuilt version?

Thanks

Jeff
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 01:33:15 AM by (unknown) »

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: 24 vdc American Bosch Generator
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 06:57:30 PM »
2.5 is a little low power wise..

make sure you have a bigger pully on the alt than whats on the engine..

otherwise you may burn your engine out[over heating].

and make sure its turning in the right direction--other wise you could burn out the field brushes from lack of cooling air..

a real simple load out control--is to hook up a number of tail lights between the field and batt.lug[on alt.]..make sure there hooked in parelle..add one at a time untill you have the amout of amps out your looking for.just add a switch for each light..as the motor warms up turn on a few more..3 or 4 lights should do it..

for full amps out just hook up a solid piece of wire to the field to batt.lug on alt.

this could  burn out the feild windings early[use for short time full amps out charging only]....good luck

on secound thought your engine may be able to handle a straight one to one ratio.

all my engine gens used 12v alts--not sure if that makes a diffrance or not-but i belive the 12v alts need more power...just expermint tell you get it right[pully wise]..............
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 06:57:30 PM by (unknown) »
WILD in ALASKA

sk windpirate

Re: 24 vdc American Bosch Generator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 09:59:13 PM »
google search "alternator secrets" it deals with regulators for auto alternators.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 09:59:13 PM by (unknown) »