Author Topic: Power from wind mill and different size solar  (Read 1383 times)

Birdmmjb

Power from wind mill and different size solar
« on: May 12, 2007, 02:21:37 AM »
I am new to solar and wind power but have been collecting parts whenever I've found a good deal.

As a result I have one wind mill made from a tread mill motor, 4-15 watt solar panels and 3-5 watt panels.

I also have one 7 amp charge control and a 50 amp battery regulator (sp) with dump circut (darn I cant spell tonight).  These will be charging a 135 ah battery untill I can get to Little Rock and pick up a lift battery I've found 12 v 700 ah new but taken off the lift as it would nolonger operate for a full day may still hold 300 ah.

Is there some way to wire all the solar panels and the mill to my battery?  I know I cant just wire different wattage panels together and what about the mill can I run one circut from the solar panels and tower ( next to each other in my side yard

or do I need to bring each item to the battery bank (In the house) on a different line.

What about a dump load does any one have an inexpensive way of dumping the extra power?

By the way please keep it in simple terms as I am very new to the whole eletcrical and eletronics game.  Most of what I read on this forum goes right over my head.

But it's sure fun to try to figure it out and learn somthing new.

Jan

« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 02:21:37 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Power from wind mill and different size solar
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 08:59:19 PM »
The panels can be wired in parallel. That's not much of an issue.

I hope the 7A controller doesn't have a 3 capitol letter brand name, or you really need a new one. I C P roblems with those.  And the old style yellow HF controllers too.

Look way back through the 'controls' section (link above) for many ideas about dump loads.

G-

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 08:59:19 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Birdmmjb

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
My controler is a sunwise.

However I though that if I wired the 5 watt panles in with the 15 that the 15 watt that the watts for all of them droped to the lowset or 5 watts.

If thats true then I would be better off not using the 3 5 watt panels.

The 4 15 watts

= = = =                    + + + +

=                          +

=                          +

Neg side of panel to             Positive side to controler

controler then battery

Where would the wind mill tie in before the controler or after?

I was not kidding when I told you I dont know a lot in fact darn little

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 09:12:00 PM by (unknown) »

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 01:09:27 AM »
Ok, you have 4 @ 15 Watt panels, each of which will put out about an Amp of current and 2 @ 5 Watt panels, each putting out a little bit less than a half an Amp.  You can connect all of your panels positive leads together, and all of your panels negative leads together, and connect them to your controller as you will still be under 7 Amps.  That will take care of the panels.  

The thing that you were thinking of with reducing the total output to that of the weakest panel only applies when connecting them in series, for higher voltage, where you have to force all of the current from one panel through the other. In that case the smallest panel forms a bottle neck.  For your case, at 12V, you will be connecting them in parallel, so this does not apply.  

As for the Tape mill, most commonly, you would rectify the output and connect it directly to the battery.  The rectifier will prevent the battery from backfeeding into the mill, and spinning the tape drive as a motor.  Without a dump load you will have to monitor the mill and disconnect it (by shorting on the mill side of the rectifier) when the batteries are full to prevent over charging the battery.  For flooded batteries, you can usually get away with a little over an amp for every hundred amp hours without having to worry about that too much, but a tape drive mill could put out 15 Amps or more depending upon the motor in a sustained windy period, so you would have to either have a dump controller, or disconnect the mill in high wind unless you have about a 2000 Amp hour or larger Flooded type battery.  

A dump load which turns on a load of some type when the voltage is too high, or in some, too high for too long, to use up the extra power and protect the battery.  There are commercial versions available, or if you are proficient and confident in your abilities, plans to build your own posted in stories on this discussion board and elswhere on the Web.  

You should have a way to shut down the mill even if you have a dump load controller.  If your batteries are disconnected for some reason, there will be no load placed on the mill when it spins up, and this high speed free wheeling is generally bad for wind turbines.  The forces created can cause self destruction of the mill in some cases, and excessive or accelerated wear on the bearing and brushes in most.  

For a tape drive mill you can place a heavy duty switch, such as an old knife type switch if you can find or make one on the mill side of the rectifiers.  Shorting this switch will then short the output of the mill, which may shut it completely down or at least create enough of a load to prevent it from overspinning for most winds.  The rectifier prevents current from being fed from the battery across the switch.  

Have fun with this, I suspect it is the start of something you will tinker with and improve for years.  It is a lot of fun, Rich Hagen

« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 01:09:27 AM by (unknown) »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

richhagen

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 01:15:37 AM »
Nice one there Glen.  I'm not a big fan of the thin film panels either I C'n Problems with those too.  Rich
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 01:15:37 AM by (unknown) »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 07:30:16 AM »
Cheap / Simple dump load.

A car head light will use about 5.5 to 6A each.  Get the big square or round bulbs, not the newer style as big as your thumb.

A tail light bulb, #1156, pulls about 2.3A.

The PVs will make about 5A total, but the solar controller should control those.

Treadmill motors are often posted as making about 8 to 12A.  If your windmill works about like those, then parallel 2 headlights, or 6 #1156, would be a decent dump load.

Keep an eye on it for the first few storms. It may need more bulbs.

I like the #1156 bulbs better (had some problems with short headlight lifetime).

If one #1156 burns out, it's less drastic than 'half' the headlights (1) burning out.

Brand name #1156 are worth the extra money.

Shop around for sockets.  We have taken to soldering wires directly to the #1156 bases.

G-

« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 07:30:16 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Birdmmjb

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 11:48:08 AM »
Thanks for the dump load idea.

Question I have a blocking diod on the wind generator is that different from a recifer?

I'm going out now to move the diod a I placed it next to the motor and now I think I see that it should be nearer the battery.  I'll be looking for a kill switch when I go to town to find the lights for the dump load.  untill then I will just short the windmill when I'm not here to know what is going on with the wind.

Jan

« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 11:48:08 AM by (unknown) »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 02:46:41 PM »
Here is a page that will help you out a lot with How to hook it ALL together.

Nice Diagram at the bottom of the page too . . .

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_systems.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 02:46:41 PM by (unknown) »