Author Topic: 48 volt charging with a large Electrodyne alternator  (Read 2880 times)

StingrayCrazy

48 volt charging with a large Electrodyne alternator
« on: May 17, 2007, 04:25:32 PM »
Hello, New to the board. Found some great info here doing searches on how to set up my home power system but I need more help on this one...

Ok, I have a large Electrodyne E250 24V 250A alternator that will be driven with a 12HP biodiesel generator to charge batteries and export power. My battery bank consists of 16/12V 100AH batteries wired series/parallel for 48V to feed my stacked Xantrex SW4048 inverters.

The Electrodyne alternator is basically 2 alternators housed in the same case. It has 2 sets of 3 phase power leads with 2 seperate 6ohm field coils designed for remote rectifier/regulators.

Can I use (2) 1200V-140A 3-phase bridge rectifiers wired in series on the DC output side to get my 48V with one 24V voltage regulator driving the fields in parallel sensing off one of the rectifiers? Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks Frank

Moved to a more appropriate section.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 04:25:32 PM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: 48 volt charging
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 05:59:33 PM »
Frank, I will respond, or tread where angles fear to, this usually stimulates others.

Simple answer try to keep it simple...

I am not familuar with your alternator and a quick check of their web site was not all that revealing (I did say quick).

So lets start at the bateries, from your description you will have a 4 x 100 A/h banks @ 48V a total of 800A/h. So maximum charge rate should be 10% so 80 amps.

I asume you have matched this alternator to the diesel, OK provided there is a charge regulator for the batteries, but this leaves a lot of amps to potentially go somewhere. Presumably via the inverters to the grid.

You say the alternator is essentially two, is it two 24V units or two 48V units? It seems to be 2X24v because of your mention of field voltage. Now any rectifier is best used at half it's amp rating. At 250 amps there is need for a massive heatsink. 250 amps X 1.2V(nominal drop across 2 diodes) = 300 watts not impossible but.

Ok so if it's 2 x 24 V they could be stacked so long as they don't share a common negative connection, this could be achieved using external regulators. I would expect each field winding to be isolated from each other and all other connections, so yes they could be commoned up.

So to your question, each phase of your rectifier will see an average 1/3 of the amps say 84A so IMHO your proposal is possible.

allan down under

« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 05:59:33 PM by (unknown) »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.