Author Topic: $15 weather station  (Read 2204 times)

wiredwrong

$15 weather station
« on: June 11, 2007, 07:51:13 PM »
I was surfing again and stubled on this, thinking about going over to the toys r us and getting one, I dont have any way to measure wind at the moment and I think this could be a cheap way to get some type of wind measurements. I have the bicycle computer but have never finished putting anything together, this is already done

And for $15.

heres a ling to the page incase my picture dont work

Click  here to go to Toys'r'us"

« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 07:51:13 PM by (unknown) »

vawtman

Re: $15 weather station
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 03:45:20 PM »
Thats interesting and looks like something thats easy to take apart.Always did that when i was a kid.

maybe one could take out say a temp gauge and use the slot to measure rpms

maybe the other to measure amps

Maybe alot of fun for little money.

Cool if it works

« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 03:45:20 PM by (unknown) »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 03:51:48 PM »
rip it apart and mount the wirley on your gen pole--then run some wires down to the wind speed indecator--that is if its not mechanicaly hooked to the wirley,,,

« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 03:51:48 PM by (unknown) »
WILD in ALASKA

Phssthpok

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 07:20:51 PM »
Save yer funds.

My nephew has one of those things, and when I saw it I had the same idea. That is a cheap TOY, and does not lend itself well to serious applications. Though it seems to funtion via magnetic inductance, even at rest it measures 2-3 MPH 'wind', there are no bearings or bushings to extend wear life of the shaft, and the cup arms are simply pressed in with small dovetails.....nothing that would stand up to any serious wind methinks.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 07:20:51 PM by (unknown) »

wiredwrong

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 07:49:38 PM »
well with no bearings or anything it may not be worth it unless the meter there goes high enough to be usfully, is that 15mph on the scale? Or can anyone tell?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 07:49:38 PM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 12:24:44 AM »
Should try to look at one in person, that might be good for parts!

If the gauges are decent Humidity and tempature are worth a little, mount them on a nice wood frame. A compass is always handy.

The cups, if they are decent then mount them on a VCR head or Hard Drive motor, attach the magnet and set up the bike speedometer :)

If the cups just sit in a dove tail as mentioned then epoxy them on, as long as they are  decent balance and size.

I would buy one but don't have a local store, shipping is $7.39 for one! Total $22.37 for one, or I could buy 2 for about $40 with shipping, but dont want 2.

I don't want to buy them for that, but I have seen just the cup parts being sold for $20 and shipping some places but those are probably better cups too!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 12:24:44 AM by (unknown) »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 06:46:51 AM »
Use the bike digital speedometer and go ahead and make your own anemometer

you'll be farther ahead in the long run.

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 06:46:51 AM by (unknown) »

Phssthpok

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 08:53:04 AM »
The other gauges SEEM to be fairly decent....except for the cheep printed stickers used on the faces. I dunno how accurate these stickers would be when compared with a claibrated device, but if your just looking for a ballpark reference then they'd work just fine.

The cups themselves seem to be quite durable. They're plastic, about 2" dia with the arms molded into a 'C' channel to add strength without extra weight. I should note that this thing would work on the ground (where you can just walk up to it and look, and after a little calibration) but it would require too much modification for tower mounting to make it worth the effort.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 08:53:04 AM by (unknown) »