Author Topic: Looking for a Simple Voltage Booster Circuit  (Read 3060 times)

harriskevine

Looking for a Simple Voltage Booster Circuit
« on: July 27, 2007, 01:35:10 PM »
I've searched the boards here, and read a lot of posts on voltage boosters.  However, I still haven't seemed to be able to find a clear-cut solution.  Like many of the others here, I'm just using a 30v Ametek with some PVC blades.  About 80% of the time, my generator rides between 5v-10v.  I would really like to use a boost converter circuit to bring this to charging voltage.  Yesterday I built a circuit out of a 555 timer, some caps, and a couple of diodes that would double the voltage, but of course that sort of setup can only handle low amounts of current.  I've been looking for a good circuit that transistors to sink larger amounts of current, but I've yet to find a minimal one (one that doesn't use microprocessors etc...).  Has anyone designed a voltage booster circuit that can handle 25-100 watts and won't be too much trouble to assemble?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 01:35:10 PM by (unknown) »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Re: Looking for a Simple Voltage Booster Circuit
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 09:21:55 AM »
Seems like your setup would work I'm not that

much on electronics...but seems like the only

part you need is to handle more current...but

where are you getting large amounts of current?

....not from the Ametek...I doubt....

Do yourself a favor.... basically you wrap a

1/4 inch rope around a 2 inch drum that's

hooked to the Ametek....add weight and let it unwind take an open volt reading, repeat the

process and keep adding weight until you get

that 10 volt reading...now you know how fast

your Ametek has been turning to get that voltage.

Until you get some solid data ....building the

Simple Voltage Booster Circuit may just be a

waste of time for you that might have been better spent making blades that will spin that

Ametek at the right speed and torque to charge

12 volt batteries.

( :>) Norm.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 09:21:55 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 10:21:56 AM »
Look at what Willib has been doing.

Boost converters are very simple to people with electronic skills, but are not to those without it. If you don't understand electronics and you are not prepared to abandon the pvc prop then you will have to find some other way within your means to do what you want.

There will be plenty of inductance in a dc motor to make a perfectly simple boost converter with a mosfet, a schottky diode and a pwm power supply driver chip. I have a basic circuit in my diary on matching the load but you will need to adapt it to the dc machine. Wasting time with voltage doublers is probably pointless as you need a variable boost as the load comes on.

Flux

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:21:56 AM by (unknown) »

harriskevine

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 12:10:43 PM »
Thanks Flux.  I do have a little bit of electrical background (I'm a computer engineering student).  I thought that if you used a voltage doubler, if the voltage exceeded the battery voltage, then it would just get brought down to the battery voltage.  Are you saying that I will need some sort of circuit to monitor the generator voltage and change the pulse frequency proportionally to get a different muliplication factor?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:10:43 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 02:18:33 PM »
If you use a voltage doubler and by doing so you achieved the same match to the prop as if you had a generator of the correct voltage then you would be in the same position except for the inevitable loss of the boost circuit.

Using voltage doublers that work on the peak of the waveform and generally present a high impedance will almost certainly fail except for very small schemes.

A simple boost converter with fixed pwm chosen as a good compromise may be good enough to get what you want and could just use a shunt mosfet across the winding and a series schottky diode in the line. A 555 followed by a mosfet driver may be good enough. You would need to chop at a modest frequency of about 5kHz . Alternatively you could add a capacitor across the machine brushes and include a ferrite inductor and chop at a high frequency ( 30khz or similar)

To make best use of the scheme you would need to alter the pwm to match the generator speed to the prop's power characteristic. You need to phase the pwm back quickly beyond cut in but slow down the phase back as the wind speed picks up.

The small size of this set up makes me doubt that it is worth a lot of effort needed to make a decent attempt at mppt. The fixed pwm circuit would probably be near enough in this case, there is precious little energy available in low winds to a 4ft prop so there may be no point in going to a lot of effort for a few % improvement. If you had more consistent higher winds then the gain would be considerable.

I suggest that if you are familiar with electronics you just try a simple boost converter. Connect a mosfet across your generator terminals with drain positive, Include a schottky diode in the positive line where you have your conventional blocking diode now( may be good enough to keep it instead of a schottky).Use a decent capacitor across the output of the series diode to common and keep leads short within that loop.

Make sure that the gate drive to the fet can't exceed about 50% duty cycle and make it variable between 50% and zero pwm.

Drive it with a 555 or more likely a microprocessor if that is your line of business, but make sure you use a decent mosfet driver ( chip or discreet) after the drive circuit. Microprocessors will give you all the problems of needing logic level fets and everything else but that is your choice. See how it works, it may work wonders as long as you have wind, otherwise it will just slow your blades as soon as you boost above cut in speed.

Flux

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:18:33 PM by (unknown) »

harriskevine

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 09:41:20 PM »
Thanks for help Flux.  I get pretty consistent winds, but I just don't have the luxury of being able to have higher than an 11 ft. tower.  I think a voltage booster as you described, although not terribly efficient, should help me get a lot more out of my generator than I am at the moment.  Thanks, I'll let you know how it works out.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 09:41:20 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 05:31:52 PM »
Try this site: http://members.cox.net/n4uau/kits/Booster%20QST.pdf

While not all you want, it may do.  If you want more current, I believe you might be able to add a switch after inductor L1 between it and the LM2587, pin 4, but you'll have to watch your signal polarity, beef up the Schottky diode and the switching inductor, L1.  When the chip's switch output (Pin4) is low, it is shorting the inductor, L1, to ground.  If you place an n-channel MOSFET there, using the switch signal as a gate drive, it will reverse the sense of the circuit operation.  Not necessarily good.  Do you need to think about shutting this extra circuit off when the other takes over?  Good luck.

Mike Harvey

« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 05:31:52 PM by (unknown) »

geoffd

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 10:29:07 AM »
I am not sure what you min/max input voltage and current are, but you could use a DC-DC Converter.  Here is a small example: http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Electrical/Power+Supplies+&+Converters/XP+POWER/JCA0605S15/displayProd
uct.jsp?sku=1337128

There are more powerful ones available.

Cheers

Geoff

« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 10:29:07 AM by (unknown) »