Author Topic: Rectifier question  (Read 1034 times)

HK

Rectifier question
« on: November 02, 2007, 12:59:52 PM »
 http://theelectrostore.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/diodes-rectifiers.html IXYS 1000V 60A x 2 Fast Recovery Epitaxial Diode Module DSEI2x61-10B Used

$10.95 They also have large,150amp+bridge rectifiers under $60.

Can I use this for a rectifier for a DC motor type wind generator?I've read all I can,but the rectifier/diode thing I'm having a hard time grasping.I'm using a DC motor as a generator,it maxes out at 55amps.Feel free to e-mail any links or articles,catalogs,ect on this subject @ shawnn821@echoes.net

The idea of a forum is we share it all here and not in private. suggest anyone with info just posts it here for all to learn from. T

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 12:59:52 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Rectifier question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 08:05:07 AM »
If the thing will actually make 55A, it would be best to go a lot heavier than a 60A bridge.

The bridge will need a big heat sink.

Here is how to connect it...

Swap the PV for your DC motor.

G-

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 08:05:07 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

HK

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 09:07:30 AM »
No,it produces 18.5amps,the larger number comes from the DC Analyzer program,which allows for maximum cooling,wind speed,ect.so 55 is the Absolute max the system is capable of.(thereotically) I cannot personally vouch for the accuracy of that program,but if it's correct,I shouldn't be able to blow it.I just want to know if it will work as a bridge rectifier.Thank you very much for the diagram.

Thanks,Heinous Khan
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 09:07:30 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 09:31:56 AM »
Both units would do but neither is the best choice.

The Ixius fast rectifier will do fine but will need far more heatsink than a schottky device. You can surely find plenty of 40v 60A schottkys in similar packages. Ixius devices are rather expensive and even if you get that one cheap I doubt it will cost less than a Schottky and it will cost twice as much for a heatsink.

The bridge rectifier is drastic overkill to only use half of it.

Probably a 30A schottky will do more than you need but that is for you to decide.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 09:31:56 AM by (unknown) »

ZooT

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 10:44:57 PM »
A few folks told me that the ametek DC motors produce DC rather than AC....because they use brushes and a commutator.....

If this other DC motor also uses brushes and a commutator, wouldn't it also produce DC rather than AC, and if it does, why would a bridge rectifier be needed?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:44:57 PM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 11:14:09 PM »
zoot;

If this other DC motor also uses brushes and a commutator, wouldn't it also produce DC rather than AC, and if it does, why would a bridge rectifier be needed?

Well, for blocking reverse current in the motor / generator it wouldn't need a full "bridge" just a diode to block the generator from motoring off the batteries. Might not be necessary in a hydro setup but certainly will be needed in a wind turbine.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:14:09 PM by (unknown) »

HK

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 07:25:50 AM »
Cool,If the only problems with Ixius is heatsinks and cost,I'll go with them.I have alot of heatsinks laying around,and that fast rectifier is only $11+ shipping.I wanted to share that link because their prices on the large(150amps+) bridge rectifiers were the cheapest I've seen anywhere.

Thanks,Heinous Khan

« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 07:25:50 AM by (unknown) »