Author Topic: Help with Tripp Lite inverter  (Read 1007 times)

Speo

Help with Tripp Lite inverter
« on: November 15, 2007, 04:11:55 AM »
Hi guys,

I have a bunch of question about this inverter, any answer is highly appreciated.

I am looking to buy an inverter and the price for a used one, posted at this link seems reasonable: http://firebuy.com/webapp/webstore/index.asp?cat=1000&itemid=124362

And here are some specs: http://www.provantage.com/tripp-lite-pv1000hf~7TRPI00R.htm

Does anybody have any kind of experience with this type of inverter?

How much current does it use to run itself, especially with no loads or with very low loads, like 5-10W? I was surprised when my little xamtrex 175 used 0.7 Amps without any load.

One of the features says "Battery Charge Conservation Dial conserves battery power by setting the load-level at which the inverter automatically shuts off". Does that mean that when I remove the load the inverter turns off? Then how do I turn it onn again? Will it turn on if I apply the load again? What's the lowest limit of the load before turning off? After turning off beacuse there is no load, does it use any power to "check" if a new load is present and turn on again?

It has a RJ45 remote control jack, but the remote control is quite expensive(new $150). How complex is the circuitry in the remote control? Shorting certain legs (parallel the remote control switch) will do the job (turn it off)? I noticed the remote has extra bells and whistles, but I am not interested in them, only in turning the inverter on/off.

Thanks a lot,

Speo

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 04:11:55 AM by (unknown) »

veewee77

Re: Help with Tripp Lite inverter
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 06:18:14 AM »
If it states that it will turn itself off when unloaded, that is good.  That means that when there are no loads, it will go to standby mode and use very little power. The adjustment you are talking about is to set the minimum load at which the unit will continue to run. One way to set that is to turn off all loads and let it turn off. Then turn on the device that has the absolute lowest load of anything you have. Then set that adjustment so that it just turs on the inverter. If it is set properly, that small load should make the inverter come out of standby and power up that load. Any other load that is larger will also cause it to power up. Then when the loads are all turned off, it will wait a few moments and go into standby again. The current requirements in standby varies from type/brand to type/brand, but it will be very low. When the inverter is in standby, it "pings" the output at regular intervals looking for a load. Once it detects a load it starts up.

A cool thing to watch for the uninitiated.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 06:18:14 AM by (unknown) »