Author Topic: I smell smoke  (Read 3605 times)

winddreamer

I smell smoke
« on: December 03, 2007, 08:31:53 PM »
after three months of smooth sailing i have managed to burn out my xantrax c 40 charge controller I have a 10' 12 9 made for 24v setup with n45 mags and it turned the controller into smoke... all my fault its one of those things that I knew would happen sooner or later I am using it on a 12v system right now as I have no 24v inverter yet

and even with a huge gap at the stator it still melted down the one heat sink and a few of the resitistors are burnt  / Lesson learned  make sure all parts of the system are made to work together and set up right before you use  (:  Doh..
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:31:53 PM by (unknown) »

GeeMac

Re: I smell smoke
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 03:32:36 PM »
Me too
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 03:32:36 PM by (unknown) »

cdog

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 03:35:09 PM »
UMMMM, that doesn't sound like I'll have great luck running a c-35 on my 10' 24 volt mill???

cdog.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 03:35:09 PM by (unknown) »

boB

• boB
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 03:58:54 PM »

Was the C40 connected to the battery as a diversion controller ??  (proper usage)...

Or, was it connected between the turbine and the battery ?   If connected in-between, then that's the reason for the smoke and I would be surprised that it lasted as long as it did.

boB

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 03:58:54 PM by (unknown) »

Dozzer7

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 06:14:38 PM »
I keep hoping to see something on the market that's 10 ft tall and bulletproof to go between the turbine and the batteries, maybe something that would accept 100+ volts and charge my 24 volt bank. I would buy two, "heavy sign" maybe this fall?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 06:14:38 PM by (unknown) »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 09:20:30 PM »
I've got a 10' DanB mill as well, though it sits in the back of of a '58 Volvo 445 whilst I dream up how I'm going to build this tower. Still, I did dream up a diversion controller for it and bought a C60, despite my temptation to save money in this regard. Do you think that perhaps 1/3 more rated diversion amps might have saved your controller from it's death?

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 09:20:30 PM by (unknown) »
Less bark, more wag.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 02:03:23 AM »
Like boB I am wondering if you are trying to use this in the wrong mode. It has to be in diversion mode and if it is used that way with the correct dump resistor chosen to limit the current to the suggested value the it should not be damaged.

If you are trying to use it in the mode intended for solar then " dream on".

Using a 24v alternator on 12v should have driven you well down into stall and given you a nice low charge current. Using an excessively wide gap to match the speed for higher outputs is likely pushing the alternator to the limit, but it is something silly that you have done that has damaged the controller.

Flux

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 02:03:23 AM by (unknown) »

winddreamer

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 07:34:55 AM »
bob ,flux  yes I had it hooked between the turbine and the battery bank I did know better but it was one of those things that I never got around to fixing.

I had been shorting out the turbine during heavy wind to prevent burnout but I had to stay late at work one night and thats all it took.

at 12v I don't know if it will even work on diversion mode?

these 10' turbines really kick out the amps at high wind

the next thing I have to fix is the tail it is to small and heavy.. 3/4 plywood cuz that's what I had the day i put it up to test. three months later its still there.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 07:34:55 AM by (unknown) »

winddreamer

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 07:41:22 AM »
volvo farmer i really don't know   i think it might be but I am the one with a burnt out controller i did have my controller hooked wrong and thats what caused my problems  I do know I am  breaking down and buying a new inverter so I can switch to 48v and get rid of the high amp problem
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 07:41:22 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 07:58:31 AM »
I'm impressed.

Think about it.  Connected as a series controller, the battery gets full, the mill is unloaded, the open volts on a 24V windmill with a too-heavy tail must have gone well past 100V. Right?

Maybe it wasn't windy enough until this last storm.

G-
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 07:58:31 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 12:07:43 PM »
I should think you are lucky.  I'd have expected it to fail immediately and... you're lucky the wind turbine didn't fail as well free spinning like that.

next time... a heater that draws 40 amps off your batteries powered by the C40 (or better yet a C60 for 24V and a 10' wind turbine)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 12:07:43 PM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

bob golding

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 03:49:43 PM »
i am thinking of designing a bullet proof dump load controller for wind turbines. there seems to be a need for something like this. it wont be easy or cheap.and properly as complicated as the inverter is is going to protect. there dosnt seem to be one on the market that isnt just a crowbar. what is needed is something that will divert the output to a dump load when the voltage gets to high. it would have to be fairly fast to protect downstream electronics properly. i was thinking of something like a big igbt with a fast zener diode across the gate.any of the electronics buffs got any ideas. something that will work up to say 150 volts and 100 amps should be about right. 1200 volt 600 amp igbts are readily available on ebay for a few dollars. havent really thought about the fine detail yet but like some feedback on the best way of doing this. will proberly wait till i get my data logger sorted out so i can get some numbers on the voltages first.

cheers

bob golding

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 03:49:43 PM by (unknown) »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

snowcrow

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 06:27:20 AM »
  Hi winddreamer, question, were you using the xantrax c 40 charge controller in diversion mode with a dump load, and the wind generator connected directly battery bank?

The xantrax c 40 charge controller should work fine for both the 10' and 12' with the controller setup in the diversion mode configuration, and with a resistive dump load properly size for your system.

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 06:27:20 AM by (unknown) »

ZooT

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 03:35:01 AM »
I don't really have good luck running my C-35 on my 4 foot 200 watt unit, as the controller does something that in my opinion is flakey in that the fan inside the little 150 watt 12 volt car heater that I'm using as a dump load doesn't sweem to want to start, but instead just sorta' jerks it's way around on it's axis.....so I don't trust it.....yet...

And yeah.......I did follow the instructions to the letter because the darn thing costed me almost $100 plus shipping, so I didn't want to let the smoke out...

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 03:35:01 AM by (unknown) »

crashk6

Re: C35 & Automotive heater
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 09:59:29 PM »
The reason the fan in the automotive heater "jerks" is because the charge controller is a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) device and was not designed to run what might be thought of as normal loads (unless used strictly as a load control), it was designed to protect the batteries from over charge by pulsing out power into a resistive load. It sounds as though your C35 is operating fine, but I would recommend a purely resistive dump load rather than the automotive heater you currently use as it may.. thats a big may as they are robust but not indestructible.. damage the C35.

--

crashK6

« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 09:59:29 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 10:49:16 PM »
Big ultra-fast Schottky "Flyback" diode will protect the C-35.

The fan itself should be fine.  I think.  (HF retail stores have the heaters on sale until Dec 26? for $10)  'Jerks' is normal.

G-

« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 10:49:16 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller