Author Topic: xantrex/tristar controllers and max current  (Read 1242 times)

cardamon

xantrex/tristar controllers and max current
« on: December 04, 2007, 01:04:53 AM »
Does anyone know if the xantrex c-series and/or tristar controllers can burn up when used in diversion mode or will they stop diverting power when their current limit is reached?  This would seem to dictate how to rig two or more controllers for increased capacity.  For example, say I have a 100 amp load do divert on a 12 volt system.  I hook a c-60 and set it to divert at 14.1 volts and another one to divert at 14.2.  Now if the controllers will stop increasing their pulse modulation rate once their current limit is reached, then the other contoller will start to pick up the excess once the battery voltage rises that tenth of a volt.  However if they do not limit current, then the first contoller will keep trying until it melts!  I have read some of the previous posts on paralleling diversion controllers, but it was not mentioned whether the controllers current limit themselves - seems like an easy enough thing to build into them.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 01:04:53 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: xantrex/tristar controllers and max current
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 08:07:49 AM »
In diversion mode, the diverted current is determined by the value of dump resistor. Just choose the resistor to give you just under nominal current rating when connected directly to a fully charged battery. The pwm will look after things up to this current and beyond this the voltage will rise. The next controller will then take over.

You may not be able to make sense of the charge algorithms but the things will dump the current ok.  

There is no current limit built into the pwm.

Flux

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 08:07:49 AM by (unknown) »

cardamon

Re: xantrex/tristar controllers and max current
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 08:22:27 PM »
Thanks flux, that makes perfect sense now - basically protecting the controller by the ohm value of the dump resistor.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 08:22:27 PM by (unknown) »