Author Topic: Fast charging a Craftsman 14.4 battery pack  (Read 4287 times)

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Fast charging a Craftsman 14.4 battery pack
« on: December 17, 2007, 09:49:17 PM »
When one of the two batteries went, I got another

14.4 craftsman drill but the second one had a

slow charger the batteries have a different

number and cannot be charged fast with the fast

charger the battery that can be fast charged has

a third connection....any one have one of these

that knows what part of the battery pack this goes

to or what that enables it to fast charge?

any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:49:17 PM by (unknown) »

crashk6

Re: Fast charging a Craftsman 14.4 battery pack
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 03:06:05 PM »
The third contact is generaly connected to a thermal resistor to mesure pack tempurature, without it the charger risks cooking the batteries.

I have seen some where this is not the case and the third contact is just jumpered to one of the other terminals, usually in lower quality tools. Another possibility is a sense wire for some smart chargers to calculate voltage rise and drop with respect to charge rate to determine if the pack is optimally charged.

But Id bet it's for a thermal resistor.

--

crashK6

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 03:06:05 PM by (unknown) »

Cloaked User

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 03:07:18 PM »
That third contact on the more expensive battery pack is connected to a thermal sensor down in between the cells. It gives the charging circuit in the fast charger a value  indicating the temperature change in the pack as it charges. I have replaced the cells in some 14.4 Craftsman batteries with cells from the cheaper pack, and put the heat sensor (a semiconductor called a thermistor, I think) in between the new cells. The pack housings are screwed together on many Craftsman cordless batteries, so all you need is a small "tamper resistent" torx driver. It's a pretty easy swap, and then you can use the good charger. The cheaper charger is little more than a wall wart that will toast your nicads if you leave it on there all the time. I did this a couple of years ago, when I decided to start rebuilding my own battery packs. Sears had a whole drill kit for sale for less than I could buy the individual cells for. The battery packs would run my right angle drill, but I was in the same fix as you, with no way to use the good charger.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 03:07:18 PM by (unknown) »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 04:04:22 PM »
Thanks guys....in other words if it gets a

certain voltage it'll get a fast charge until

it gets a certain tempature and then it quits

or drops to slow charge?

On mine it has to be a certain voltage ...any

lower and the yellow and green light go on

indicating slow charge or defective battery

on fast charge the red light is on till its fully

charged..

With the wrong14.4 battery it just turns on the

green light and slow charges forever until you

unplug it.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 04:04:22 PM by (unknown) »

asheets

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 05:16:33 PM »
Does the Craftsman guarantee apply to their batteries and chargers?  If I have any doubt at all about a Craftsman tool, I just get it replaced.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 05:16:33 PM by (unknown) »

Cloaked User

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 05:50:59 PM »
Yup. Those fast chargers are pretty sophisticated. I have been wearing out cordless tools for many years now, in the construction biz, and the recent improvements in the technology are impressive. Sure makes my work easier!

I learned several years ago that DeWalt chargers use what is known as "Delta V" charge sensing, which does not use any additional contacts. I found this out while researching bicycle headlights, and I have converted a charger for use on nicad packs for bike lights. You can use one to charge any battery pack made up of "sc" or the standard industrial nicad (ni-mh too) cells up to about 18 volts. One word of caution though! When you solder in some wires to carry the current to your battery pack, you have to be very careful not to touch either conductor, because there is 120vac on one conductor (to ground). I don't understand how that works, but apparently you can get a bad--even lethal--jolt from it. You can use an isolation transformer to make a safe system out of it. I bought a transformer a long time ago, but never got around to wiring it up. Anyway, the charger works great. You just use the positive and negative terminals in the charger, add wires and connectors, and hook up to the pack. The charger measures the pack's voltage every second as the pwm pulses go on and off, and when the voltage peaks and then drops slightly, it switches into slow trickle mode. Later model DeWalt chargers, like the one I converted, do have the third contact for the later battery packs, but the chargers are made to be backward compatible and will charge the old DeWalt two-contact batteries just fine. Or your RC car pack, or your 6 volt bike light pack, or other brand drill pack. Be very careful to get the polarity right, especially if you are going to charge low ah packs. The charger will beat the smaller packs to death if you get it wrong. Don't ask me how I know, just be careful. :)

People who know a bit about the differences in nicad and ni-mh cells will note that delta v charge sensing is pretty tricky with ni-mh chemistry. I don't know of any DeWalt two-terminal battery packs that used ni-mh cells, probably for that reason. In the bike light realm, however, the chargers are still pretty dismal, even now, and in my experience, my hacked (and dangerous) charger works just fine with the ni-mh packs I have used it with. Many times more reliable and easier on the cells than the cheesy factory set ups.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 05:50:59 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 06:12:38 AM »
It does not.

BTW, Some of their charger manuals specify "No Inverters".  And they mean it.

G-

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 06:12:38 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 07:54:23 AM »
You always have to look at the numbers....in the

case of a router I got one time.

It was on sale, so I got it, it went flooey after

a week...took another week before I brought it

back....I thought hand it to the salesman...same