Author Topic: Propane flow meter? -- looking for < $200  (Read 8936 times)

(unknown)

Propane flow meter? -- looking for < $200
« on: January 11, 2008, 10:06:43 PM »
Hey all,

Does anyone know of an inexpensive (less than $200 would be great) flow meter for our LP gas line? The only ones I've been able to find cost $1600 or more. Our gas company says we're using CRAZY amounts of propane, and I'm hunting for an affordable way of verifying what we're actually using.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

David

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 10:06:43 PM by (unknown) »

electrak

Re: Propane flow meter?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:55:15 PM »
Are you using propane ( tank outside )or natural gas ( meter from pipe to street).

If you are using propane is the tank going empty? Check for leaks

For a flow meter, check welding supply, WARNING, putting it in may not be up to code. Your house, your install, your responsablity.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 03:55:15 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 04:09:13 PM »
> Are you using propane ( tank outside )or natural gas

Propane, AKA LP. Two outside tanks.

> If you are using propane is the tank going empty?

After about 10 days, which is much more quickly than we calculate that our consumption should warrant.

> Check for leaks

Ya think? ;p Kidding. I've done that, extensively. Had the gas co. perform 2 pressure tests. We think that the guys filling the tanks are leaving the bleeder valves cracked open. I've found it that way twice.

Elsewhere, someone pointed me towards propane "vapor meters" (as opposed to flow meters,) designed for billing multi-unit dwellings. That looks promising.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 04:09:13 PM by (unknown) »

vawtman

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 04:50:59 PM »
Is there away to warn the posters and not the repliers?

Stupid Windows i guess.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 04:50:59 PM by (unknown) »

thefinis

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 03:49:53 AM »
How large are the tanks? I would check the pop off valves for leakage if they have them. Check the fittings on the tanks too with soapy water as the check valve in the filler cap might be leaking or even the regulator fittings. Two tanks filling them often sounds like a mobile home setup which might have small enough tanks to put a scale under. Propane content of tanks can be read by weight or liquid volume. Main problem is it would need to be free floating, not tied down just restrained/nested to be able to use scales. Have you tried using one tank with the other one shut off to see if the leakage might be on one tank or the other? It is possible that your gas man is gigging you but almost every time I know of where usage was way high it was a leak. Ask some of their other customers if their LP usage is way too high not in dollars but gallons.

Last if you have central heating/ducted check the ducts for hot air leaks to outside areas. A duct leak to outside air means the heater works harder two ways. One is that only part of the heat makes it to heating the house and the other is that the lost hot air must be replaced with cold air.

Good luck

Finis

« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 03:49:53 AM by (unknown) »

disaray1

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 06:16:42 AM »
 Good call Finis. I'd build a 2x4 pine tri-pod and one of these

http://www.allscale.com/shopexd.asp?id=22

Weigh that sucker.

David

« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 06:16:42 AM by (unknown) »

chainsaw

Re: Propane leaks
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 07:37:14 AM »
Has this excess consumption happened all at once or gradually?

Small leaks would be smelled and the tinest ones would be found with soapy water.

I would keep a close eye on the gas company and make sure fill-ups didn't exceed tank capacity. If your tanks do not have a percentage gauge, you will have to weigh them to be sure what you receive. If something funny is going on with the company and they see scales it might change your consumption. I would personally supervise fill-ups and eyeball meter to make sure it is set to 0.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 07:37:14 AM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 01:32:01 PM »
I took a long time in saying so, but thanks for the great reply. Good information.

The possible leak has never been found, and the problem has mysteriously gone away.... Hm.

Thanks again for the good ideas.

db

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 01:32:01 PM by (unknown) »