Author Topic: Hybrid system setup  (Read 2065 times)

northrun

Hybrid system setup
« on: January 26, 2008, 11:31:08 PM »
I have a small wind system with an Ametek style 36VDC motor.  For a charge controller I have an Oatley K241 I built from a kit, and a dump load made from elements from an old clothes dryer.  The system charges a pair of Hitech DC31DT deep cycle flooded 12V batteries.  A simplified schematic is below.

Current schematic

I am adding a 50W solar panel to the system, and am weighing the options for hooking this up.  Option A shows the panel connected in parallel with the wind turbine input, so both are controlled by the Oatley, sending excess power to the dump load (which I will need to make larger).  A blocking diode will be added to the solar panel.

Option A

Option B would use a Sunsaver 10 that I have surplus from elsewhere.  In this option, the solar panel is controlled by the Sunsaver, and the wind setup stays as is.  Since the Oatley is an on-off regulator, and the Sunsaver is a PWM, will this "confuse" the batteries when both regulators are charging the batteries?  Should I put the setpoint voltage of the Oatley below, the same as, or above the Sunsaver's 14.4V setpoint?

Option B

If having two different kinds of controllers is confusing for the batteries, an option C would be to set up as in option A, but replace the Oatley with a PWM regulator such as a Xantrex C35 in diversion mode (but I would have to buy one).

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 11:31:08 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Hybrid system setup
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 05:08:25 PM »
Is the dump load something usefull?

If not, Option B is nice.

The SS-10 is temperature compensated, and will charge to about 14.4V.

Might want the Ametek Oatly kit set to 14.5V or so.

Then the benefits of the SS-10's PWM will count for something.  And you won't need to expand the dump load.

Be carefull. Do NOT short the solar wires with the SS-10 connected.

G-

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 05:08:25 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

northrun

Re: Hybrid system setup
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 06:05:33 PM »
No, the dryer elements are just out in the wind.  Thanks for the advice.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 06:05:33 PM by (unknown) »