Author Topic: lower than normal generator output/input  (Read 963 times)

Rabrsniver

lower than normal generator output/input
« on: February 20, 2008, 09:16:15 PM »
I have a Honda EM5000is generator. (4500 watt max output)

It is wired to a Trace 4024 inverter. (I have it set for Auto Start) Lately I've noticed its taking longer to fully charge my batteries. So the last time it started, I went out to the shed to see what was happening. I have the MAX IN Amps on the Trace set to 30A so I won't overtax the generator. The readout on the generator shows 30A OUT. But the AMPS IN on the Trace meter readings only shows 24A, not 30.

So somehow I'm 6A short from what I normally get. Consequently its taking longer to charge the batteries. I have not made any changes to the generator or inverter.

Where did my 6A go, and how can I get them back?

John
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:16:15 PM by (unknown) »

AbyssUnderground

Re: lower than normal generator output/input
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 03:06:36 PM »
The first thing to check is wiring. Make sure the connections are snug and that connections are not arcing etc.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:06:36 PM by (unknown) »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:58:57 PM »
Do you understand how the charge algorithm works? In other words, what was the voltage when you read 26A? The charger in that inverter is designed to limit the amps once the voltage reaches a certain level. If it charged at 30A all the time, battery voltage would get up significantly higher than 30V and the batteries would boil pretty hard every time the generator ran.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 04:58:57 PM by (unknown) »
Less bark, more wag.

Rabrsniver

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 06:49:10 PM »
I have checked my connections - all snug.

As far as the charger algorithm,  I am familiar with it. But my low output was upon initial (Bulk) charging when the generator should be giving all its got.

Plus, although the charger "backs off" as the batteries get close to "full," the generator doesn't know that, and should still perform at full output, right?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 06:49:10 PM by (unknown) »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Ahh long distance problem-solving, I guess I didn't get enough of it in my normal job today.

Have you physically observed the trace meter showing 30A, equal to the generator out 30A before?

What happens if you adjust the charger up to 32 or 34 amps? does this affect the amps-in number you see on your inverter/charger?

Do you have an independent way to measure AC amps (clamp meter?) perhaps either the generator's meter or the trace's meter is not calibrated properly.

My gut feeling is that your generator seems to be running longer because your loads are greater or your RE input is smaller than it used to be. Unless you have a monster system, 30 AAC charging should get you out of bulk and into absorb within an hour or two, 26AAC in bulk shouldn't make that much of a time difference. at least that's what happens on my system.

If you want further help, post your system specs. Solar/wind watts, physical location, Battery amp hour capacity, charger settings on the inverter, battery temperature, etc.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 07:31:00 PM by (unknown) »
Less bark, more wag.

dog55

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 04:23:47 PM »
got my  4kw onan genset ready to wire for remote run and charge my battery bank through the outback invertor but am having trouble with the wiring setup from the elk 960 relays to the other components. I have a pic of volvo's and notice the trigger slots on the relays are not used?  What do I not see?

any help would be great as my batteries would like a good charge -- not too much sun and a lot of contruction going on

regards dog55

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 04:23:47 PM by (unknown) »