Author Topic: New Grid Tie inverter  (Read 2880 times)

imsmooth

New Grid Tie inverter
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:21:05 AM »
I just saw this on Ebay.  I don't know anything about it, although I have seen SWEA before.  Does anyone have any comments?

Here is the link
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 03:21:05 AM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: New Grid Tie inverter
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:31:36 PM »
I think the Chinaman needs to hire an English speaking publicist.

That description is nearly gibberish. I didn't notice any "UL" approval so that leaves you open to litigation or refusal of loss coverage should it burn down your house or backfeed the grid and, say, kill a lineman.

Noname gear with no approvals tends to scare hell out of me for that kind of device and money.

No brand name even an unknown one.

I say run away.

Because you asked.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 08:31:36 PM by (unknown) »

dbcollen

Re: New Grid Tie inverter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 09:38:12 PM »
If you are looking for an inexpensive PV grid tie inverter, check out http://power.sysgration.com/Products3.1.1.asp?PID=251

I bought one a few years ago directly from them for $799.00.

It is a 2kw batteryless grid inverter, it even comes with a 2kw torroid isolation transformer.

I have used mine for a few things playing around with it, I hooked it to a 450vdc pv string and used my outback inverters to be the "Grid" that worked well, I have also hooked it to one of my high voltage inductive hydro units that I make and pushed against the Outback. the only downside to that was, if for any reason the grid tie inverter disconnected, the hydro would freewheel for 3 minutes while the inverter reconnected to the "Grid".

Before anyone replies to this telling me it is not safe to hook 2 different inverters together, I have spoken to the outback techs and the outback inverters are bidirectional, if you feed ac into the ac output IN PHASE, it will put the excess power into your batteries. A grid tie inverter will match phase before it connects, if you hooked up a generator that way, the generator or the inverter, or both would let out the magic smoke.  You do have to have a divesion load because it will not regulate the battery voltage that way, like it would if you used the ac input terminals.

Maybe I will do a diary entry on my "mini grid" ne of these days.

Dustin

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 09:38:12 PM by (unknown) »