Author Topic: Motor to Generator operation Controller  (Read 1383 times)

Usman

Motor to Generator operation Controller
« on: May 16, 2008, 03:50:49 PM »

I have just found the Lister engine I have been looking for that is a slow speed, 1000 rpm, 9hp, original English made, air cooled, but without a starter motor and a generator. It does however have the provision for the starter motor to be placed in a casing with the flywheel.

I have a 48V wind turbine/solar array connected to a larger 48V battery pack as well as a small 12V battery pack (for lighting and controlling relays) that may need to be charged during days of low wind/low sun, I am intending to using the diesel generator as a back up.

I need to convert the manual or hand crank start type diesel engine into an electric one. The engine should be started automatically by a voltage monitor, which upon sensing a low-voltage on the 48V battery pack, energize relay to run a starter motor.

The problem that I am facing is how to protect the starter motor from over-cranking, since this would be an auto start & without any human intervention. The relay can be timed for a period of 0-a few seconds but that may under-crank or over-crank the engine, resulting in either failure to start or damaging the starter motor.

I have been investigating into this issue and came across a number of mini-controllers that offer that functionality, but that required synchronization, which I feel is a risky business.

I have finally decided to use a PM 12V motor for cranking up the engine as well as charging the small 12V pack. The PM DC motor would be always coupled to the engine by means of a timing belt and when the Voltage Monitor energizes the relay, the DC motor acts as a motor to turn the engine for 10 seconds, allowing ample time for the engine to start, and after that when the relay is de-energized, the PM DC motor turns into a Generator and starts to charge the 12V batteries, along with the 48V generator.

I am looking for a circuit or a ready made controller that could do the motor to generator conversion once the VM has de-energized the starter relay.

I would further appreciate any other possibilities to achieve the above with minimal hassle. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Usman.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 03:50:49 PM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: Motor to Generator operation Controller
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 11:11:58 AM »
Bosch built a version of this called the "Dynastart" using a conventional generator instead of a PM unit. Amongst  mechanics it had the enduring term 'Damnastart', mostly due to the problems with the regulators and relays.

There are diagrams on the internet that show how they are wired and how they worked.

I can think of several ways to assure the engine would be running with oil pressure before the 'starter' dis-engaged and also assure proper shutdown if things were not working as planned. Oil-pressure activation, voltage reading and over-temperature switches should be employed.

Ron

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 11:11:58 AM by (unknown) »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

jonas302

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 05:56:17 AM »
remote car starters moniter the voltage of the battery to disengage the starter

not being an electrical engineer I might be tempted to try to modify one  you could even use the brake switch wire to hook to a temp sensor ect to kill it

As far as going back to generator mode it would seem if you applied power between the diode and moter it would generate as soon as your relay opened Or maybe use a double throw relay the normally closed contacts for batt charging

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 05:56:17 AM by (unknown) »

Old F

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 04:20:59 PM »
This outfit has what your  looking for there controllers' have provisions for glow plugs if needed

http://www.atkinsonelectronics.com/list.asp?lt=alte&mn=1

Hope this helps

Old F

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 04:20:59 PM by (unknown) »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 06:09:44 PM »
Using a DC motor as a generator and an autostarter?

Just short the blocking diode to start.

Turn the short off after a timeout.  The engine is either running by then (and the motor running as a genny) or it's not (and requires manual intervention).

A high-current self-resetting circuit breaker protects from burnout if something is jammed and the motor doesn't spin up.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 06:09:44 PM by (unknown) »

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 01:21:04 PM »
I have one of those on my vintage(1958) 12hp 2cyl gasoline engine in my wooden boat... ;)

It's not the strongest of starters but works ok, and delivers a charge of max 11Amp. (There is an 20Amp available too i think...) I'm not sure of the power as a starter, but i think it draws around 50-60Amp.

The regulator is an mechanical variant, and is not suited in a humid enviroment like a wooden boat (hence the nickname Damnastart...  :D ), but there are seldom any problems with it as long as the regulator are kept dry.

The problems starts after the boat has been at the bottom once, and the starter system didn't get a proper overhaul... :D (I speak of experience... :D )

As a dynamo, the dynastarter thrives at 3000-3500rpm, which is easily archieved on these old engines with big flywheels. The flywheel on my engine is approx. 15", and the wheel on the dynastarter is approx. 3.5" (4.25:1 ratio); running speed of the engine is around 750rpm.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 01:21:04 PM by (unknown) »
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)