Author Topic: Prefab vs homemade panels  (Read 1033 times)

Jedon

Prefab vs homemade panels
« on: June 14, 2008, 12:44:07 AM »
How much do you save screwing all your inverters, fuses, charge controllers etc onto some painted plywood over just purchasing a pre-assembled unit like the Outback FLEXware 500?

I was planning on getting 2 VFX3648's with a MX60 or Flexmax80 + mate fed by 8 Kyocera 205W PV panels now and hydro and wind in the next couple years, all stored in a 48V battery system consisting of 40 6v 220AH golf cart batteries.

I am eager to start putting the system together but want to make sure I start off right!

I'll be asking a million more questions as I get closer...

Thanks!

-Jedon

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 12:44:07 AM by (unknown) »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: Prefab vs homemade panels
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 04:46:41 AM »
If you don't plan on Expanding your system then an All-in-one system would be great. But if something about it breaks then you have to send the whole unit back for repair and you don't have any power for awhile. I prefer separate component systems which can be expanded easy as needed and much easier to repair/replace/upgrade the individual components in case of a failure.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 04:46:41 AM by (unknown) »

snowcrow

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 06:50:43 AM »
 I must agree with woof, the Outback FLEXware 500 is just a way for Outback to lock you in to buying it all from them.

The word "FLEXware" as a name for this unit is an oxymoron, seeing as they are making the unit more proprietary!! I would go with the plywood setup myself, just my opinion!!

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 06:50:43 AM by (unknown) »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 07:28:36 AM »
The outback flexware setup can be used with different kinds of inverters. All it is  is a DC and AC wiring box. You do not have to use the mounting plate if you choose not to. It allows a code compliant install, and allows you to tuck all your interconnects and shunts inside metallic boxes while still having the ability to hold all your associated breakers. I found it helpful. You might not. The only items that are proprietary are the inverters themselves and the charge controllers. You could mount any charge controller to the flexware boxes if you wanted to. The only thing I dont like (I have a flexware 500) is that I didnt go with the flexware 1000. The 500 boxes are too small in my opinion for  my system wiring, but then again, its a sizable system.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 07:28:36 AM by (unknown) »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

spinningmagnets

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 08:17:47 AM »
Disclaimer: I haven't built anything yet.

Few people spend the money to get a well-researched and robust system from the beginning. I've been getting the impression that many people start off with something they can afford.

After they gain some experience and see the results, they often want higher volts, and greater generating/storing capacity. This often means that as a system is upgraded, the older smaller components are sold at very good prices.

FWIW, I am planning on a separate component panel like Woof suggests.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 08:17:47 AM by (unknown) »

Jedon

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 12:48:17 PM »
Since I am not a licensed electrician and this will be installed on an new residence, how does that affect the decision?

Thank you all for your comments!  
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 12:48:17 PM by (unknown) »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 02:45:12 PM »
Usually on a new install, the system will need to be inspected by the underwriter (depending on where you live). It is totally fine using discrete components as long as its wired to code (NEC). If it is not, you probably will fail the inspection. I have installed over 60 systems to date and I cant stress enough how much I like the Flexware boxes. They work good for what they are. They are not the only manufacturer however. Try searching Midnite Solar. The E-panel they sell is nice too. Its also more space efficient. There are endless options.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 02:45:12 PM by (unknown) »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 11:22:01 AM »
The large metal plate mounting board is...

(1) quick for contractors to install as all mounts are provided

(2) a fire stop in case of component melt down

(3) an additional heat sink to soak up normal operating waste heat

(4) helps with lightning strikes by providing continuous ground plane

I got a used Trace-Xantrex system that has the white powder back plate - after seeing it up close a good sheet of aluminum or steel with an air gap behind it would do just as well...

« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 11:22:01 AM by (unknown) »