Author Topic: Xantrex C35  (Read 1526 times)

lpkirby

Xantrex C35
« on: September 05, 2008, 07:28:35 PM »
Can the Xantrex C35 handle the charge of the wind genny and solar panels at the same time or do I need to have a unit for each?  Is there a charge controller out there that can take both sources into a battery bank?

Thanks

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 07:28:35 PM by (unknown) »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
Re: Xantrex C35
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 01:59:37 PM »
You would use the "charge controller" for the solar modules. You would use the "diversion load controller" for the wind turbine. The C35 can be configured to be EITHER / OR. Not both. If you want to use both wind and PV with the same controller, you will have to run the controller in "diversion load control" mode, in which case neither the wind or the PV will be routed through the controller anyways. You will also need a dump load that is sized according to the max current you will experience in any given instance.

In "diversion load control" mode, the charging sources (wind/PV) are connected directly to the battery bank. The controller is also connected to the bank and if the voltage on the batteries rises, the controller dumps accordingly to the dump load in order to make the voltage fall. This is how it regulates charge.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 01:59:37 PM by (unknown) »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 02:03:07 PM »
A C35 can divert up to 35A. If your total solar and wind input current doesn't exceed that at any time then it will do it.

" Is there a charge controller out there that can take both sources into a battery bank?"

For a combined controller you must use it in diversion mode, you must not pass the windmill output through the controller, when it open circuits you will have a disaster.

It is very difficult to use two controllers, one for wind and one for solar, neither knows the true state of the battery. Your best method is to use a diversion controller large enough to dump the total output of wind and solar.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 02:03:07 PM by (unknown) »

lpkirby

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 09:03:45 PM »
Thanks for the replys,

So if I was to build a larger system in time I would be better to buy the C60 which is 60amps.  But in the battery description it states 48 volt configuration.  Is that saying that I only can use a 48v system and not my 12v system?  Here is a copy from there page.

48 Volt Configuration:

Float 50.0 - 58.0 VDC

Bulk 52.0 - 60.0 VDC

EQ +4 VDC above Bulk

Thanks again,

Leon

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:03:45 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 12:55:20 AM »
As far as I can remember the C60 can be used for 12  24  0r 48v. The limit is 60A in each case so the power it can handle depends on the system voltage.

No doubt someone will confirm.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 12:55:20 AM by (unknown) »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 04:18:21 PM »
I've got the manual handy, here.

The C60 only accommodates 12V and 24V, for some reason.  If you want to connect 48V batteries, then you can only use the C40.  I dunno why.

Flux, I'm not sure about the need to run all inputs together through the same charge controller.  Xantrex themselves show many CC's working in parallel, on some of their most elaborate "multiple RE source" installation diagrams.  I don't have them handy, but I just remember seeing them.  Something I picked up from their website once, and ought to be available, still.

Your concern, Flux, about having two CC's working against each other sounds important enough to make me wary, too.  If putting two in parallel, you could make sure to install them as Xantrex specifies, with common grounds, similar cable lengths, etc. and maybe pair up identical CC's, too.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 04:18:21 PM by (unknown) »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca