Author Topic: Set up for auto genstart.  (Read 1347 times)

muskeg

Set up for auto genstart.
« on: October 19, 2008, 06:15:34 AM »
(blank)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 06:15:34 AM by (unknown) »

muskeg

Re: Set up for auto genstart.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 12:46:02 AM »
 I have set up automatic generator start system using a Morningstat relay driver and Moringstar TS60.

After some expermentation here is what I found seems to work..

The unit starts after the battery voltage is at 25 volts for 1 hour.

Turn off after reaching 28 volts for 1 hour and a max run time of 3 hours. Wait 1 hour before restarting.

The trimetric  2020 is set for a battery bank of 700 amp hrs. So far this starts the genset at roughly 70%. Most time around 90% charged at shutdown.. ( a sunny day will charge the batteries to 100%)

The dodge alterantor is set to charge at 30amps/ 24 volts. If crank any more current it gets too hot to touch.. (not efficent but cheap to repair)

( next system will be more amps).

The battery bank is made up of 8 L16 batteries and 24 Varta Mining car batteries of unknown amp hrs (never used).

Does anybody have a similar set up?

What seems to work for you?

Muskeg....

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 12:46:02 AM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 03:10:40 PM »
The battery bank is made up of 8 L16 batteries and 24 Varta Mining car batteries of unknown amp hrs (never used).

Commenting as a theoretician (I haven't run offgrid with a real battery bank)...

Paralleling batteries of different manufacture (even different lots of the same product) can be problematic:  Process variations can make minor differences in the voltage for a given state of charge, resulting in the lower voltage batteries pulling the charge off the higher-voltage ones.  The higher voltage cells do all the work and spend most of their time below full charge, leading to sulfation and reduced life.

I'd check the batteries with a hydrometer, once maybe 20 minutes after the generator cuts off (and at night or with the solar array disconnected) so they're up but the surface charge is dissipated and again when they're down enough that the genny is about to kick in.  Check that the L16s and the Vartas are at the same specific gravity in both cases (within a tiny delta, like the equivalent of no more than a 5% difference in charge level and preferably less).  And do it again every few months.

If they're not off significantly I'd relax.  If they ARE off significantly it's time to look at what to do about it.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:10:40 PM by (unknown) »

muskeg

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 06:50:18 PM »
 All the same batteries would be nice...

I have been checking the voltages across the cells and using equalizing charges of about 4 hours at 30 volts. The magnum inverter has a nice equalizing feature.

I have to replace my SG testers. they got dmaged from moving stuff around...

Can you recommend a decent brand of tester?

How many people out there use some kind of automatic start/ charging system?

What kind of guidelines or lessons have you learned....

My humble observations here in Alberta Canada show that many people are sold a Solar/ wind system then left out to dry when it comes to a generator...

No backup planning of 1000hrs of genset time per year....

I think it was the fall of 2005 .... no wind and minimal sun for 3 months..

Muskeg

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:50:18 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:45:24 PM »
Voltage won't tell you what you want to know (though it MAY tell you if you have a bad cell).

You want a hydrometer, and to test when the batteries are at a stable temperature and have lost surface charge.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 08:45:24 PM by (unknown) »

Airstream

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 10:35:55 PM »
I have to replace my SG testers.

"I have to replace my Specific Gravity Testers"

-----------------

There was a post a few weeks back discussing this - bulb style with thermometer and correction chart built in versus lever type, etc..

The important thing is one that will read consistently - you can check calibration by knowing when the battery string is coming off equalizing charge. Taking notes on the readings then transferring the recorded values in a log/diary is a good discipline to learn, trends over time is where it is at : )

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:35:55 PM by (unknown) »

muskeg

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 02:06:40 PM »
 Keeping a diary is a good thing. I use one to keep a relative track of my system.

Such as generator oil hours , settings of the autostart controls etc, voltages etc.

So far a  voltage is all I got work with.

Open to any other ways to control a generator.

Has anybody tried using a  Bogart "Pentametric" for genset starting /stopping?

Is there something that can take a continuous reading of specific gravity reading of a battery and give a input for controls? Or at least a reference point.

Let me know what works.. or is being used in real life..

Muskeg..

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:06:40 PM by (unknown) »