Author Topic: Lookig for input  (Read 1691 times)

dynaman

Lookig for input
« on: December 06, 2008, 11:27:37 PM »
Hello all, A few years back when I first put up my wind generator my location (Missouri) did not have net metering, and so to get started I purchased eight used AGM batteries that had been used in a ups system. They have served me well inspite of the abuse they have recieved from me while I learn. They are now though at the end of their life and I need to make a decision on what to do next. Missouri now has net metering and so it is now more worthwhile to hook up, however my Trace SW inverter would require that I purchase a GTI to connect.

These units are getting somewhat harder to locate and cost several hundred dollars plus I will be required to purchase the utility meter. Looking for any input on the grid tie interface especially in reguards to longivity/reliability. I have been very happy with the generator but need to make a decision on whether to grid tie or not.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:27:37 PM by (unknown) »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
Re: Lookig for input
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 04:42:36 PM »
If you have a grid connection available, I would grit tie. However, I would not do it with that SW inverter. If it was me, I would wind a new high voltage stator and use a high voltage grid tie inverter with wind programming for MPPT, possibly the PVI-3000. Im not sure what capacity turbine you are running, and the inverter should be sized appropriately. You stand to gain more efficiency this way, although it is another expensive step requiring more equipment. Think this out carefully.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 04:42:36 PM by (unknown) »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

scottsAI

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 09:32:21 PM »
Dynaman,

Important question, are you grid connected now?

Looking over you past post can't tell.

Over all system description would be helpful.

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 09:32:21 PM by (unknown) »

mgtd

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 04:15:16 PM »
Dynaman, off topic, but rarely see anyone posting from N Missouri.  Checked out your postings and diary and discovered you're N of Maryville.  I'm over east of you, just a little south of Memphis MO.  I'm new to this, but over the past few months have found a few mill builders/operators in our relative proximity.  If you get this way and have some time I'd like to swap BS stories and show you my set-up.  Curt 660-342-3485.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 04:15:16 PM by (unknown) »

dynaman

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 06:14:48 PM »
Thanks for the input, My system consists of 13'6" air core alt based on Hugh Piggot's plans. It started out as a ten footer. after running it this way for several months I had the idea to stack 2 stators figuring this would be the cheapest way to get additional power out of it. The short of it was that the hub was not up to the additional stresses and It took out both stators. It is now wound with 1 stator, made of 12 wedge shaped coils of10 guage wire one in hand 55 turns. I changed the hub to one from a 7000 lb axle and made extentions to move the 5' blades 20" out from the hub> i also double stacked the 1 x 2 x 1/2 magnets simply because I had them. Shortly after I got it up and flying again I had a failure of one of the arms extending from the hub. Back to the shop to beef up the blade extenders, This time I made them with 1 1/4 solid round stock, verrrry heavy. It has been flying for many months now and I am very happy with it. It starts in the slightest breeze and is very well balanced. It furls to soon, but that's ok as it keeps me from having to worry about stator burn out.

I don't think the heavy hub is any problem at all and acts like a flywheel. keeping things steadier in gusting winds. Unit puts out 500 watts in very low winds. This feeds into 8 M6V180F batteries wired to supply 24 volts. A C40 controller directs any extra power to a modified water heater that is used as a pre heater for a tankless unit. Battery power is fed to a Zantrex SW4024 inverter to supply the home. We are on the grid, but not grid tied with the system. Everthing is a trade off and this inverter I know is not the best suited for grid tie but it is what I have and need to use if I do grid tie. Any options and ideas of how to utilize my existing components are welcome.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 06:14:48 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 01:40:32 AM »
Unless you are in a place where you are off grid the saving from wind power is not going to be that great. Normally it is the cost of the batteries that kill it and unless you can get cheap batteries the saving will be small.

For grid tie normally the cost of the equipment will take a very long time to recover but with energy prices increasing things are better now than they were and it may get better.

Keeping your present inverter means keeping batteries with all the cost and maintenance. You may be able to manage with smaller batteries and perhaps not very good ones. If you have to buy new batteries there would be little point in grid tie and all the hassle. I assume that the inverter you mention is suitable for grid tie.

The best efficiency for grid tie comes from the high voltage inverters but with them if you loose grid then you are in the dark. At least with your scheme as it is or grid tied you have power when the grid goes down. In the end I think it comes down to battery cost and availability, how much hassle you can tolerate to get grid tied and how much convenience you gain over your present system.

Flux

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:40:32 AM by (unknown) »