Author Topic: Pylon CFR 5000-48 Inverters  (Read 4054 times)

Jacktown Willie

Pylon CFR 5000-48 Inverters
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:51:26 AM »
Got a chance to pick up a used Pylon inverter plant for what seems like a good price but am not convinced they would be that great a choice for my future wind/solar system. There are 4 5KW inverters in the plant but would probably only use 2 for my setup. They are also 48V dc in which will match my system voltage but am concerned about the 8 amp idle current of the inverters.

http://www.compowersystems.com/pylon/power/inverters/datasheets/qfs-cfr5000.pdf

Plan on building a 12 footer based on the Dan's design in 2009 and adding 1.5 KW of solar in 2010 - on grid system.

thanks

JTW

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:51:26 AM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: Pylon CFR 5000-48 Inverters
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
I don't like ferroresonant regulators.  They lose a bunch of power (you're putting an extra transformer - a leaky one - in the power delivery chain, with an extra "ringing" coil that has the full power level running in its resistive losses continuously).  They also can CAUSE over- and under-voltage conditions on a phase hit - though this shouldn't be an issue on an inverter output.

This inverter is designed primarily for delivering extremely clean power for critical loads, not for efficiency.  That's appropriate for things like mission-critical server rooms supporting high-dollar commercial operations.  It's not so great for renewable energy systems.  (Unless you don't mind building BIG windmills and buying extra batteries to feed the inverter's losses.  B-)  )

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:18:00 AM by (unknown) »

RUFUS

• Still starving in the east Texas piney woods
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:53:26 PM »
Turn that thing off

RUFUS
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 08:53:26 PM by (unknown) »

Jacktown Willie

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:02:49 AM »
ULR,

Thanks for your explanation of ferroressonant xfmrs and loss issues associated with these devices. You are right on about these types of inverters and confirmed my suspisions about wasted power with this device. I want the most efficient conversion at a resonable cost so will likely go with something like the Midnight mppt inverter that is being beta tested by someone here on this forum.

I am still in the planning stages but am getting close to actually spending some cash and building a system.

JTW

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 11:02:49 AM by (unknown) »