Author Topic: different voltage in parallel  (Read 4159 times)

snake21

different voltage in parallel
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:04:46 AM »
hi friends,i was just wandering if i can use different voltage from 2 different 12 wind turbine and 4 12v solar panels to my battery,of course passing through diodes to prevent current from flowing back.
i mean,can i connect all my solar panels and turbine (different voltage) together making only one output to my battery?
is there any problem with this setup?

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: different voltage in parallel
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:01:05 PM »
By "different voltage" do you mean slight offsets?  Or do you mean design for 12V vs. 48V?  Also:  What kind of turbines are these?

Alternator-rectifier-no-regulator wind turbines are voltage regulated by the battery load.  If they're appropriately sized for the battry voltage you can just hook 'em up - the rectifiers also serve as the blocking diodes.  (Wind turbines with an internal voltage regulator, and generator-types, may have some issues.  They'll also have issues with an external blocking diode, because the diode voltage drop will confuse the regulator about the battery state of charge.  You'll have to look into each one to see if such a connection is suitable.)

Solar panels are also happy to be parallel-tied to the batteries through individual blocking diodes (which may already be part of the panel - check yours).  They're inherently current-limited devices, so if you hook a 48V nominal panel to a 12V battery it will work fine (though you'll waste 3/4 of your panel's potential output.)

Just be sure you have a dump load adequate to handle all this generation, so you don't overcharge the battery.

snake21

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:17:20 PM »
sorry for lack of info.its for a 12v battery system.the turbine is dc motor type

thanks

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 01:29:21 PM »
sorry for lack of info.its for a 12v battery system.the turbine is dc motor type

thanks

A DC motor turbine will already have a blocking diode to keep it from motoring.  If it is appropriately sized for the battery voltage it can be combined with others (and with solar panels with their own diodes) just by hooking 'em all to the battery.

snake21

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 12:11:05 PM »
what i meant by my question was: for instance, if the 1st turbine is producing 6v,the 2nd is producing 10v,and the solar panels are producing 15v in average and i connect the turbines and panels together in parallel,than what voltage will i get? the highest voltage or the lowest one is the system and what about the current?

thanks

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 01:36:53 PM »
The highest voltage, and the current from that highest-voltage device, so the power from the others won't be used, until you manage to pull the voltage down low enough (to below the open-circuit voltage of one or more of the others).

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 03:45:44 PM »
You can hook up all kinds of stuff to your batteries. The battery will hold the voltage down to the battery's voltage. In your example you say your voltages are as follows . . .
"1st turbine is producing 6v,the 2nd is producing 10v,and the solar panels are producing 15v"
So your 2 turbines will not be charging the battery at all until they are putting out more voltage than the battery is at (Cut-in), but your solar panels are above the battery voltage so they will be charging just fine. If you try to measure the voltage of the solar panels while they are connected to the battery you will get the battery voltage.

Here is a basic hook-up diagram . . .

snake21

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 08:06:35 AM »
thanks friends.