Author Topic: MSW Inverter  (Read 1492 times)

brokengun

MSW Inverter
« on: August 12, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »
I have a light on a light sensitive "electric eye" so it will turn on when the sun is down. The light was installed by a Master electrician and is hooked up to my MSW inverter. However, it has never seemed to come on when the sun goes down. The light and wind generator that is it all hooked up to is installed a long ways away so I haven't had the chance to trouble shoot it.

I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with powering light sensitive components like an electric eye from a MSW inverter. I will test the light by running an extension cord out there to test it at night so I can rule out the inverter problem when I can get there.

Hopefully I won't have to switch to a more expensive inverter as this is a pretty small system.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:45:53 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: MSW Inverter
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 09:02:40 AM »
Can you connect it to the grid to verify the light works?

I doubt there is a problem with the 'eye' on MSW.

Most of them (all I ever saw?) use a rectified DC at about 5V to do all the sensing.

G-

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:02:40 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

FishbonzWV

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 04:23:44 PM »
There are many different types.

We had the one that screwed into the socket and then the bulb screwed into it. It would not work with our inverter.

I first tried it with a CFL so I thought that was the problem. I changed to a regular bulb but it still would not work.

It would work with the generator running though.

Bonz

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 04:23:44 PM by (unknown) »
"Put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in motion"
H.F.Fisher 1925-2007

christopher

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 07:55:59 AM »
I used one on my msw inverter it worked twice and then let the magic smoke out.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:55:59 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 09:40:01 AM »
Many of the older things with transformers in them to produce the power supply work well enough on MSW. Modern things often use series capacitors instead of a transformer and the reactance to a square wave will lead to an excessive current and it may mess up the power supply.

Some of the newer power factor correction rectifiers in better products will not cope with the MSW at all.

It is always a gamble what happens on MSW.

It is really optimistic to call these things modified sine, I prefer to call them modified square wave. They are cheap and cheerful and work for many appliances but there are things that don't work at all or work badly and some things just go up in smoke.

Things are designed for grid operation and the voltage, frequency and waveform are all well defined, it is just luck if you choose something that will tolerate a waveform far removed from what it is designed for.

As electronic products are now being designed to avoid transformers you will probably find more of them blow up on msw. It may be a useful idea if various people listed the things that definitely don't work on msw but even then the things may be specific to certain regions as there may be different power factor and rfi restrictions on products in different part of the world.

As electronics advances it may be that the sine wave inverter will soon come down in cost and we can forget these square wave things all together.

Flux

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:40:01 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 12:44:13 PM »
"It may be a useful idea if various people listed the things that definitely don't work on msw but..."

Some items I run across are not predictable.

Common Makita drill battery charger x 2.  Exactly the same.

Common Vector 400W MSW inverter x 2.  Exactly the same.

Charger A works from Inverter A.  Charger B groans for a second, then the black reset button pops up.

BUT

Charger B works from Inverter B.  Charger A groans for a second, then the black reset button pops up.

I do not recall if a 3rd (same model) Vector inverter worked for both chargers, or if I changed the inverter brands to a 300W "Freedom Jazz".

There is a limited supply and selection of inverters in my little truck, but I do know there are no TSW inverters in there.

A few years later the guy was still using whatever it was with no troubles.

It is a full time cabinet shop.  Makita batteries are charging 24/7.

G-

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 12:44:13 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller