Author Topic: Can I just clip the varistor?  (Read 11734 times)

zap

• There's an app for that
Can I just clip the varistor?
« on: April 13, 2010, 12:22:53 AM »
I found a Precision Solar Controls model 1877 12" led traffic light in the trash.  Visual examination showed a varistor with a split case on the 120v driver board.

I have other varistors on other pcb but I'm having a hard time cross matching the bad one.

I assume lightning or some other surge got the varistor and the rest of the driver is good.

What are the chances I could remove the damaged varistor, at least temporarily, to test the light and not damage the driver, assuming it's still good?

OperaHouse

Re: Can I just clip the varistor?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 06:51:47 AM »
I regularly clip them out.  There may be a fuse or circuit board link ahead of it which is open.   Any generic MOV over 150V will work that is the same diameter or you can just forget it.  

I'm a Newbie........How many of us ever get a chance to start over!  Tried in vain to sign on with my old account.  Won't take my old password or email me, but does know my old account.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:57:33 AM by OperaHouse »

zap

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 11:39:42 AM »
Thanks OperaHouse.

I took the varistor out and still no joy.  I did a more thorough search of the board and found a fuse masquerading as a resistor or capacitor, replaced that and all is well.

It's blinding at 12 watts.  And it's red!!! DOH!  I guess if I operated a brothel it would be a great find.
Still a good find and I suppose I could replace all the led w/white and have a nice little... errr.. big light.
Luckily the led are numberd so I didn't have to count them... 198 in total.

Hope you get your name back.  Did you ask TomW or one of the others?

Opera House

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 03:27:14 PM »
That would make a great grow light, plants love red and blue.  At first I thought you were talking about a traffic light controller box.  I need to find someone that does traffic lights.  I asked a friend at LOWE'S to be on the lookout for returned LED lights.  I ordered some 1W colored leds from China to make a grow light for my wife.  The plants are outside now and all my orders still haven't shown up!

zap

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:11:32 AM »
That would make a great grow light, plants love red and blue.

Hmmm... I love red a blue lights also... except when they're flashing in my rear view mirror!

I don't really need a grow light right now and I already talked to ghurd about white led replacements.
It may be a future project.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 06:35:17 PM »
That would make a great grow light, plants love red and blue.

Hmmm... I love red a blue lights also... except when they're flashing in my rear view mirror!

I don't really need a grow light right now and I already talked to ghurd about white led replacements.
It may be a future project.
Coming in way late on this :)
ghurd should be able to get the right LEDs he's a master at finding them.

Also If you decide to build this into a grow light , it seems the magic number for veggie plants is 8 red to 5 blue, with a way to turn them off individually. I have some that are very small, but they are wonders for early starting tomatoes. I have some Lemon Boys that have 1/2 doz 'maters on them about the size of half dollars.

Cheers
Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

zap

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 10:10:50 AM »
ghurd should be able to get the right LEDs he's a master at finding them.

Also If you decide to build this into a grow light...

Cheers
Bruce S

Whatever I decide to do with this, it will most likely be a rainy day project.
Right now I'm working on led lighting for the bike and trailer.

Opera House

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 11:03:34 AM »
Bruce....with a way to turn them off individually.

What exactly does that mean? Haven't heard anything about that.  No stranger to high tech growing.  I started growing plants with ultrasonic sound 45 years ago.  Absolutely amazing results.  Doubles germination rates of hard to grow seeds and those and will half the time to germinate for those seeds that take more than two weeks to appear.  But, you must stop it shortly after they sprout.  It enhances the level of hormones called axions. Example, a bean plant with just two really tiny leaves that is 15 inches tall.  Plants will actually grow in the dark.

zap

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 12:26:23 PM »
I've never, ever heard of ultrasound for germinating... amazing.

I come from a long line of ancestors with green thumbs.
They would toss an unopened package of seeds on the kitchen counter, transfer the seedlings to the garden later that day, and be harvesting watermelons, tomatoes, green beans, etc. the next week.(slightly exaggerated)
I wasn't too bad decades ago but it seems I've lost the touch and all I seem to be able to grow well now are weeds. :(

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 12:30:19 PM »
Bruce....with a way to turn them off individually.

What exactly does that mean? Haven't heard anything about that.  No stranger to high tech growing.  I started growing plants with ultrasonic sound 45 years ago.  Absolutely amazing results.  Doubles germination rates of hard to grow seeds and those and will half the time to germinate for those seeds that take more than two weeks to appear.  But, you must stop it shortly after they sprout.  It enhances the level of hormones called axions. Example, a bean plant with just two really tiny leaves that is 15 inches tall.  Plants will actually grow in the dark.

Sound? way beyond what I do!!!
Sorry should have better explained the shut off part. Basically if using the red/blue combo the Red is used for leaf and plant health so if you have plants that are vine-based the red shift is a really good way to get a jump start on them before spring kicks in. Blue is for flowering and fruit.
So for stuff the are like tomatoes, using a Red shift LED using them the get the plant to grow strong and steady with nice green fussy leafs, but when they get to the point of starting to Flower/Fruit the Red needs to be much less otherwise the plant will continue the vine causing less food to go to the fruit.
So a way is needed to turn the two colors off separately. For me was easy, run Red & Blue LED powers out away from each other and power them separately.

I know it would be better to have single power with 556 timers, but quick/ dirty and working now is best when I'm testing.

For me its been trial and error for different plants but the tomatoes like this a whole lot. and if you're into cloning the better tomato plants, BOY is this the way to go. :)

Our current clones are too small so far, for fruit but the health is awesome.

Once outside is beyond frost outside they go.

Tell me more about the sound thing?
I knew M.E. News had done bio-sensory tests and had concluded they did have a frequency that could be detected , but that's as far as I paid attention to it.
You have peaked my interest :)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 12:37:04 PM »
I've never, ever heard of ultrasound for germinating... amazing.

I come from a long line of ancestors with green thumbs.
They would toss an unopened package of seeds on the kitchen counter, transfer the seedlings to the garden later that day, and be harvesting watermelons, tomatoes, green beans, etc. the next week.(slightly exaggerated)
I wasn't too bad decades ago but it seems I've lost the touch and all I seem to be able to grow well now are weeds. :(
The problem may be in the seeds. If you're using new seeds, most of those are hybrids and can't take a large swing in temps or garden soil.
I go looking for heirloom and indeterminate species. Ever since I've had more and I do seed swap to get stuff.

I'm now waiting for Opera House to come back on the ultra-sound stuff.
Sorry to have hi-jacked your original post

Opera House

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 01:38:23 PM »
I first read it in Scientific American in 1964 or 1965.  That got me all the way to 4th place in biology Mass State Science Fair at MIT.  That was a kick back then.  They had never seen scopes and all that electronics in that section before.  Must admit my biology was a little weak.  Standard chambers with lights on timers.  Four chambers with sound/no sound, lights/no lights.  With dark chambers the plants were yellow instead of white.  That demonstrated that the plants could use the sound energy for chemical reactions.  With faster germination the sound energy must have helped break down the hard seed shell. A 555 into a piezo tweeter might do it in a very small space. A FET to get you 1W would be better.  25-30khz, keep the dogs away, and tune for resonance.  Those speakers are not flat in response.   

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 05:20:58 PM »
That got me all the way to 4th place in biology Mass State Science Fair at MIT. A 555 into a piezo tweeter might do it in a very small space. A FET to get you 1W would be better.  25-30khz, keep the dogs away, and tune for resonance.

MIT! Wow,!! bummer on the freq specs, the brown Lab/ Sharpe mix is already a winy baby, don't need for him to have another reason  ;D.
However, that might be a good little test to get under way once the basement root cellar is complete, will keep both dogs and cats out.
 Thanks for the info.

Bruce S