Author Topic: Used Xantrex 4024 ....safe to buy used?  (Read 1372 times)

theshadownose

Used Xantrex 4024 ....safe to buy used?
« on: June 11, 2010, 03:57:15 PM »
K,   guy is selling a 5 year old Xantrex 4024 witha trashed whisper H80 turbine for 1200.00 in Nebraska-   Is that a good price/ is it safe to buy used...?

Opinions, comments...?

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Used Xantrex 4024 ....safe to buy used?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 06:48:11 PM »
Define "trashed" and "safe".

One mans trash i anothers treasure.

Sorry no clue what either is worth. Ebay might offer some base value figures for either?

Value is rather situation specific

Are you handy at fixing stuff?

Tom

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:24:06 AM »
I bought a used SW4024.  It was over 10 years old when I got it, now it's nearing 15.  Before I paid, the seller hooked it up to a set of batteries, wired up a set of 120V lights, powered it up, and took a picture for proof that it works.  You should ask your potential seller to do the same.
Value?  As Tom says, that's based on what you're willing to pay for the "risk" balanced by the value it may offer.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

theshadownose

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 01:13:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice-   I am trying to start solar, but want to buy parts that will last.   while this would blow most of my budget for a year,  it looks like it can scale VERY well.   

I am picking up 4 48 watt solar panels (12 volt, so will need to run series AND parallel)  (from DOT road sign, $400)

Have 4 75 A-H batteries, so rewiring from parallel will give me 150A-h at 24 volts.   (  Mil- surplus C&D 270s  AGMs $120.00)

Back roof is at 35 degrees,  our latitude is 41 degrees,  so will start with a rack that I can tilt +/_ 15 degrees for seasons, but no tracking yet.  will use steel bed rails.

Running 4 gauge wire from roof to  tracker in garage.  (~ 75 feet)  Probably overkill for current bvoltage, but again, trying to do right first time...)

Have 2 Ghurd Controllers  will most likely use 1 for solar controller, 1 as LVD for DC fan in garage.

Next Years budget will be electrician wiring SW 4024 to subpanel, maybe MPPT Controller, more panels if under 2$ per watt...

So, what am I missing/did not think of...?

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 01:32:51 PM »
will use steel bed rails.

So, what am I missing/did not think of...?

Lots and lots,  and lots,   of drill bits?  Then get twice that many.

It only took me once to know I never again wanted anything to do with bed rails.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller