Author Topic: Lots Of Nothing  (Read 83230 times)

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
Re: Lots Of Nothing
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2021, 05:05:13 PM »
ooohhh! eerr!
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

mab

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2021, 05:56:34 PM »
Err... any particular reason for resurrecting a thread that started in 2012?

Scruff

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2021, 06:04:46 PM »
Doesn't the title give it away¿

Wow...it made sticky it's so good!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2021, 08:35:22 AM »
Scruff;
Gonna snag that post for Halloween this year  :o.
Agreed on the use of specific measurements.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

DualFuel

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2022, 08:18:58 AM »
Well...this seems appropriate. The title, I mean.
Some years ago I was given five of these micro wind turbines of the AirX variety. I have several rotations of different ones that I put on the tower and I think the maximum power I got out of them is like half a watt. I get 22 volts open circuit, if I spin the PMA with a drill. I got rid of the circuit boards and installed a rectifier inside the turbine housing. I don't really know what else to try. I had longer blades that I got from Missouri wind and solar, and they didn't do anything, so I cut them down to the size of the AirX blades. That didn't matter.
I would like 5 or 10 watts. Something realistic.
The tower is 35 ft, and is shaded by trees from the south. The turbine has been up there for 2 years and survives the weather. Some days it spins pretty fast. Absolutely worthless though.
Please pile on the free advice. I actually can crank down the tower and check all the wiring and all that. I can install a different turbine if I build one I guess. I have some tape drive Motors, and some treadmill Motors. I don't know.
DF

MattM

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2022, 07:40:05 PM »
Is it missing the magnets?  My refrigerator magnet sounds like has more potential than your dead AirX lawn ornaments.

Edit:

After searching threads here it sounds like the average AirX has a wonky control board.  It likely charges when storage reads <12.5 volts and shuts down charging at its setting, typically around 14 volts.  They don't seem to charge a new cycle until the voltage is below 12.5 volts again.  People typically average < .5 amp/hours annually out of them, so welcome to the AirX fan club. :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 08:08:21 PM by MattM »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2022, 01:15:54 PM »
Well...this seems appropriate. The title, I mean.
Please pile on the free advice. I actually can crank down the tower and check all the wiring and all that. I can install a different turbine if I build one I guess. I have some tape drive Motors, and some treadmill Motors. I don't know.
DF
DF; you have any ECM motors? Those you might be able to get free from HVAC people. Cut out the control board most are potted in the black goo from hell anyway. They are 3-phase the one I am testing put out 54Vac at 600rpm, if I put my meter into Amp mode my 12v drill can hardly turn it and I can easily ready many Amps ( I'll know more once I rig up my drill press so I can get truer readings.

The tape drive motors are great to work with , but if you have a treadmill motor you're even better off. A lot of the heavy duty treadmills that use the Leesom motors are already DC.
Hope this helps
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

DualFuel

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2022, 07:40:04 AM »
How about test towers? I am in the season where I get a lot of wind on the ground. I was thinking of testing some ideas with those aluminum tent poles from the army. They come in bags. I thought I could lean the pole up against something stout and monitor the prototype.