Author Topic: Coil spacing Question?  (Read 1582 times)

dwpeters12

Coil spacing Question?
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:13:54 PM »
I am currently building the 17ft. in Dans book (having a blast). I wound a coil and it is a little big for the space, so I wound another one and tried to get it as tight as I could, but it was still to big! It said to make it a half inch thick is it supposed to be 5/8"? Anyways if i made the stator a little bigger and the magnet rotor a little bigger would that affect anything? The magnets would be farther apart.

jlt

Re: Coil spacing Question?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:06:02 AM »
You could make the center hole narrower .for more room. or make rotors larger .

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:32:23 PM »
I am currently building the 17ft. in Dans book (having a blast). I wound a coil and it is a little big for the space, so I wound another one and tried to get it as tight as I could, but it was still to big! It said to make it a half inch thick is it supposed to be 5/8"? Anyways if i made the stator a little bigger and the magnet rotor a little bigger would that affect anything? The magnets would be farther apart.

If you have not committed yourself to the magnet rotors then making them bigger to suit your coils will be fine. Once you have committed to the magnet discs you have far less options.

Flux

dwpeters12

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:19:14 PM »
Well i haven't made my magnet rotors yet! As long as it doesnt make a big difference I will just make the rotors and the stator a bit bigger. The coils are to wide so narrowing the island wouldnt help at all.  Thanks for the help!

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:56:54 PM »
How much too big are they? A small change in the center hole will make a big difference in whether they fit or not.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

dwpeters12

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 10:43:59 PM »
They are to wide the length fits fine, but they are about a half inch to wide. So if i changed the island it wouldn't make a difference., unless I made it bigger. Right?