Author Topic: generator size advice  (Read 2631 times)

goingoffgrid

generator size advice
« on: April 17, 2010, 10:30:40 PM »
Hi all
Just looking for feedback on what brand and size of generator would suit my application. I have a small creek running through my property. It ends up in a river 340 feet away with 35 feet of head.The water runs all year, but varies. I get anywhere from 80 to 150 gpm through a 4" pipe. Planning on going off grid next year, so trying to calculate how many solar panels I will need to go with my hydrogeneration.

hydrosun

Re: generator size advice
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 11:43:53 PM »
You might look into a ESD turgo.  That should handle the head and flow you are talking about. A Harris uses up to 4 1/2 inch nozzles that will let out 29 gpm so your max would be 116 gpm. The ESD turgo can use two 1 inch nozzles for up to 230 gpm.  The Harris is slightly more efficient and a bit easier to  adjust to different flows with the four nozzles on valves. And adjusting the magnet strength is simpler too.
80 gpm would give you about 250 watts, or 6kwh  a day. A bit more with the Harris. If your first concern is getting the most out of the lower flows go with the Harris. If you want to be able to maximize the highest output go with the ESD.
Chris

goingoffgrid

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 04:53:19 PM »
Thanks for the info Chris, I'll look into that. Using average of 25 kw a day with family of four. built and installed a solar hot water heater, and installing outdoor boiler for heating house and shop. Changed over to Led lighting, added motion switches, etc,etc. trying to bring those #s down so I don't have to spend more on the solar end of things. Chow for now!!

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 12:10:20 AM »
As a side question does taking water from the creek disturb the eco system of the creek. Just wondering?
MntMnROY 13

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 12:49:15 PM »
To some extent it will, but with care full consideration to all the data you can make it very minimal. The goal should all ways be to have next to no foot print on the creek/river whilst geting what you need for power.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!