Author Topic: Point to try at all??  (Read 2689 times)

Liima22

Point to try at all??
« on: May 20, 2010, 01:58:41 PM »
Hello.
i recently bought a house near to small river with fast flow. my plan is to get warm water. and maybe floor heating water as well. You guys please comment if there is any point at all with the supplies i have. Il post some images of idea and motor parameters. Maybe you guys have Better ideas how shoud i build it or what purpouse i shoud use it. But thanks for reading.
Mario from Estonia.

Now i got this servo motor.

Motor Stats.

Liima22

Re: Point to try at all??
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 04:18:41 AM »
maybe it's my bad english why people not answering. Sorry if so.

jlt

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 07:41:38 AM »
 heating takes a lot of watts . Use solar hot water.use electric power for lighting and other small needs. 

Liima22

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 09:07:40 AM »
Helo again.
Thanks jlt For answering.
Now i tested motor a little.
i was spinning motor with Heating element attached.
Heating Element was 1575W, with 800RPM i got 62V output when heating element was connected. and it used 1.9Ampers (motor can take 10.2A). heating element was going warm pretty fast. Now i have to test my Waterwheel how fast it start to move and then i know how fast Reducer i need. you guys can tell me is 20 RPM possible with undershot waterwheel?
Thanks Mario.

hydrosun

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 12:17:56 AM »
the water wheel will move only as fast as the water moves. Put a float in the water and time how long it takes to move a measured distance. Calculate how far it moves in 1 second. Measure the outer circle of the water wheel to see how far it turns.  You need to know the rpm and the voltage you are trying to obtain to decide what motor would work.
The larger the diameter the wheel the slower the rpm.  So a smaller wider wheel would be best.  A propeller  type turbine would turn faster and need less gearing up to generate electricity.  Think of a underwater wind turbine, with the greater density of water instead of air.  I've seen designs that were pulled behind a sailboat the had a small shaft that attached to a cable and then up at a shallow angle  to a motor on the boat. Also has the advantage of being less noticeable.  You don't mention about needing permission to do this. In the US it would need to be done quietly or spend years trying to get permits.
Is there anyway to create a diversion to make the water  fall more?  How much flow does the river contain?  What is the cross section? That along with the speed of the water will tell how much power is potentionally available.  A water wheel will then only produce a fraction of that power. Maybe 25% if everything is matched correctly. Probably much less.
Do you already have a water wheel built? what is it's diameter? 
What you are describing is an undershot water wheel like the Romans built thousands of years ago. It is slow turning with lots of torque. Great for grinding grain but harder to harness for making electricity. Overshot wheels can spin faster because the water is diverted to gain head before going over the wheel.  It uses the reaction speed of the water as well as the weight of the water to turn the wheel.
If you can provide some more information I can calculate what motor might work for your setup.
Chris

Liima22

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 05:46:46 AM »
Thank You hydrosun.

When i get to my river i try to measure the water speed.