Newbies > Newbies

stator question

<< < (6/6)

Astro:

--- Quote from: Astro on February 07, 2022, 12:19:20 PM ---
--- Quote from: derekisastro on July 31, 2019, 08:31:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: SparWeb on July 29, 2019, 10:08:03 PM ---We're here to help.
Very valuable resource, these members - even the ones no longer with us now.

BTW, one of the links above in Reply #6 is broken.  The link to that document is now at ... AXIAL_FLUX_HowItWorks.pdf
Hope that helps.

--- End quote ---
Tis a great article to be sure ... though still some interesting take away's ... 3 things that I'll mention ...

1) They quote 1.33 magnets per coil but really give no other explanation other than "here's the trick" ... don't get me wrong, I don't believe you can go wrong with the 3 coils to 4 magnet ratio ... I just know from even just this message board alone, that many (including Hugh himself) have bucked this "trick".

2) I just love this quote from the article ...
The decision on how many coils/magnets to put into the Alternator is somewhat arbitrary,
somewhat mystical.

and lastly 3) it also says ...  either 12V, 24, or sometimes 48V, depending
on your system. The size and gauge of wire should be selected to produce the right voltage.
... but gives no mention of the selection parameters or guide lines and I get that it's not easy to do so but still ... I guess it's part of that 'mystical' part of PMA's.

--- End quote ---

#1. I think it is because it works out almost as perfect as you can get it. The most amount of mags you can fit. Not physically, but in terms of what we are trying to do. Think about it, you are putting coils in a circle. You are putting mags in a circle. What is an important number to know when working with circles? What does you stator and mag rotor look like when you get it all drawn out? Pie. 3.14. 3 coils 1 stator 4 mags. Coincidence??? That is probably not why, but I am pretty sure it is because it works out in the math of the physics of what we are trying to do.

#2 and 3. You answered. There are a million different ways to build this thing and the decisions made on choosing the size of wire, the number of winds among many other factors are going to decide what you get out in the end.
 This is why I have a hard time explaining from the beginning how to build these things, because first we need to know what it is we are trying to accomplish. What avg wind speed is available, and many other things need to be thought of in the design. You might have a guy on here that has a mill that makes 10kwh a day with his set up, but take it down and move it 200 miles away and set it all back up the same exact way and you may only get 5kwh per day. So one needs lots of parameters first. Then they need to know what the goal is. I mean you are not going to produce several kwh per day from a mill with 18in  blades.
The mystical is not as mystical as it is combining many numbers together to build something that works well. But again it will work better in one place then another, because some of those numbers are site specific.
 This is why when they make the great big windmills AND they are all made the same size, they choose where to put them based on avg wind speed. Because they know that the design works best in that wind condition. They really can't individually build such large machines and taylor build them to the environmental conditions. Plus in areas where the wind is sub 15mph most of the time you are going to have an even harder time making a machine to extrapolate power from the wind. Not that you can't, but that it is harder to do. You have less "fuel" for the wind mill. If we put a gallon of fuel in our lawnmowers, we can go mow for well over an hr. Put a gallon of fuel in my truck and hook up my rv and you are only going to go 15-20 min.  Different "motors" for different needs. Except in our case the need does not change, only the amount of fuel available. You are not going to produce 80v and 60 amps in 5mph wind, just like you are not going to pull an rv with a lawnmower. Again it is physics. You can however make 80v at 5 amps. (just making up numbers as an example). But basically if you have lower wind conditions most of the time, you are going to do better with many small mills over 1 or 2 bigger ones.

--- End quote ---

I mean you could always slap something together put it up on a pole and see what you get. That sounds a little more like guessing but to each his own.

Oh and derek is not astro. Stephan is astro, Before that Astro was my dad's cb handle. :)

JW:

--- Quote --- I mean you could always slap something together put it up on a pole and see what you get. That sounds a little more like guessing but to each his own.

--- End quote ---

Ya fish paper for iron core.

How are you dealing with the air-core are you using geometry, to the coil function.     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version