Author Topic: Ebay motor warning 24v Indiana general  (Read 537 times)

SACONGO

Ebay motor warning 24v Indiana general
« on: February 05, 2010, 11:53:08 AM »
Hello, i bought a 24v Indiana general motor on ebay labeled as 95 rpm.  I checked it out and its 295rpm at 24v. So i notified the seller and he tells me I listed them according to the label on the motor. But in the ebay ad he says "The amazing thing about this motor is that it put out 24 volts at only 95 RPM!" Its doesnt even give 10 volts at 95 rpm. The seller is chameleonliquidators. I tell him its wrong but he going on misleading people with the same listing the average ebayer doesnt even know because its still a low rpm motor but its just not right so im passing this along to very one.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 11:53:08 AM by (unknown) »

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
Re: Ebay motor warning 24v Indiana general
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 02:25:03 PM »
I see you left negative feedback, the seller has left a follow up comment, you can to, search ebay for how to do this.

$129 is a lot of money for a second hand motor!  Suggest investing in a Axial Flux design?

Regards

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:25:03 PM by Jon Miller »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:22:47 PM »
Always fund Paypal purchases with a credit card. If Paypal won't make it right, you can still get the credit card company to charge it back.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:22:47 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 05:50:49 PM »
I've not tried to look up the auction in question...

but you might actually be better off... depends what you want the motor for.  24V at 95rpm is quite slow for a wind turbine unless it's quite large.  I wonder if your goal is a 12V or a 24V machine, and what you plan to drive it with.

As it is, with a cutin speed of about 200 rpm, it might make a nice little 24V wind turbine.  And even so.. its quite slow at 12V so if the goal is a 12V machine you might prefer it to be faster... that is, if you have any sort of conventional design in mind.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:50:49 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 08:43:12 AM »
Part of these problems come from the 2 ways the motors are labeled.

That 24V 295RPM 3.7A means that's how it runs loaded.  Can tell because of the amps.

Unloaded runs faster as you found out.

If it said 24V 295RPM and 0.15A, then that is the unloaded RPM for something like an Ametek/Indiana.

The output voltage math follows an unloaded labeled motor a lot closer.

I still think it is very dishonest seller, especially since he has 2 more listed with the same description.

If it was 'tested' then he would know the 24V open RPM.

"it put out 24 volts at only 95 RPM!"  That's a flat out lie.

"Tested by hooking up to 24 volt battery."

Could be worse.  I bought a couple 'as-is'.  Tested and functional meant they would still turn but barely.  Bad bearings, bad brushes, bad everything, pure scrap.

G-

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 08:43:12 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

SACONGO

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
I was planing to use it on a small 12v vawt due to the low rpm. As ghurd said what would it take to hook it up to a battery even a 12v car battery they would see it is not 95rpm. I wouldn't of left negative feedback but the seller said "Are you ok with the purchase? im going to list as its label" like to say to me i'll make it better for you but i'll screw everyone else. I can send it back but i will lose $24 for shipping  i figure i still could use it for a project.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:49:00 PM by SACONGO »

Ronnn

• Myspase profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 01:25:49 PM »
Early on I looked into many of the cheap alternatives to what the Dans offer in their book. That market is fraught with fraud. In their book on building your own they explain the math on pmas that claim a thousand watts at low rpm. These people are bottom feeders. Towers and gennys are no place to scrimp. Scrimp on gas. Scrimp on grid electricity. And above all else scrimp on water. It won't be around in these kinds of quantities forever. In the southwest it is particularly important.

Ron

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 03:05:16 PM »
I know this is an old post, but dishonesty is an ongoing problem.

Example from eBay today:
"Permanent DC Electric Motor Wind Energy Power Green"
Neither DC nor Permanent nor Wind Energy Power...
Just a small AC motor from valorie630's junk pile, yet the seller has 99.8% Positive Feedback.

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller