Homebrewed Electricity > Other

steam boiler

(1/3) > >>

greenkarson:
No body will proudly want to touch this subject with a ten foot pole but here goes.  My boiler consist of a 25 gallon heavy duty air compresser tank siting on a fire box so only the bottom quarter is in the firebox. I know this is inefficient but lets me monitor the tank easier.  the tank is rated for 150psi and 660 degrees Ive had it up to 140psi with air several time to test it.  It has 3 safely valves set at 100 psi and a "holy crap" manual blow out valve plumbed so i can blow the steam out and away.  Ive tested this  with air and steam. Just before the tank hits 100psi I've been putting out the fire as well.
I'm wondering if anybody else has had any REAL HANDS ON EXPEARANCE with this kind of boiler and if there is a significant danger in the heating and reheating of the boiler?  it is never boiled anywhere near dry?

thanks everybody. looking for "experienced" opinions only on this one thanks again

harley1782000:
My buddy has a setup like that and he has been useing it for about 4 years now.  He only gets it too 75psi.  He does, once a week take a big plug out and checks in side and around it for any problems.  He also keeps it in a room by itself.  Now he runs a turbine, not a engine.  Don't think there is a difference since they both use steam.  He did say he was going to make a new boiler out of Boiler Steam.  Good thick stuff.  After awhile the minerals and crap in the water will eat the tank and the fire will start to work at it too.

greend88:
For a potbelly boiler I would install Blow out plugs on the bottom that have a set temperature then they melt and vent.  But if the water is properly maintained they'll be fine.  Never let it run low and I would keep it as full as possible If possible install a sight glass so you can monitor the water level.  Pictures would be great. What kind of safety valves do you have on it? I would only use ones designed for steam.  Here's the reason why. When you heat the water up and build pressure the boiling point goes up, then if you vent it and the pressure drops suddenly the boiling point drops even more and then you have a bunch of water flash to steam and if your vents can't handle the volume of steam generated say Kabooom.

Old F:
You mite want to do a search on steam traction engines.

There are forum out there  for  the repairing/ restoring, care and feeding for old iron here's one to start

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7

They should have the kind of info your needing

JW:

--- Quote ---I'm wondering if anybody else has had any REAL HANDS ON EXPEARANCE with this kind of boiler and if there is a significant danger in the heating and reheating of the boiler? it is never boiled anywhere near dry?

thanks everybody. looking for "experienced" opinions only on this one thanks again

--- End quote ---
greenkarson

I would not fire a pressure vessel, thats intended to only hold compressed air, you could run into things like "caustic embrittlemnt", Besides the "blow down hazard" do you have any idea what a steam trap is?

*You should look towards this group-

http://www.steamautomobile.com/lcc/index.htm

a link to there discussion forum

http://steamautomobile.com/phorum5214/read.php?1,14362,14376#msg-14376

Dan's boiler and engine has been looked over by Licensed Boiler Operators. There the ones who educated him as to proper operation of the system.

JW

-edit- spelling correction

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version