Remote Living > Housing

Greenhouse anyone?

<< < (20/20)

Harold in CR:

The white LED's I have over the one side of the plants lights up the area around the green house, outside. It's part of a strip light ribbon.

I just this evening, ordered a 5 meter roll of SMD Purple Ribbon strip, for $10.40 USD delivered to my sons house in Florida. He will be sending a crate down around the end of Jan. so, I will see how that works. It may be that the darker colors don't give off much light.

These super bright whites do though.

Thanks for the links, Simen.

Harold

Harold in CR:

Time for an update.
 Been eating green peppers for a while from the plants. The plants are tall and spindly, so, we pick the peppers at around 4" long. They grow long peppers here, not the block type.

Have a couple tomatoes getting big enough to eat in another 3 weeks or so. Outside tomatoes are putting on blossoms and small tomatoes, also. I use a whole house filter, inside the fish tank, so the pump doesn't clog with fish poop, which comes out in a clear tube, like intestines. That gets caught up in the rubber valves of the pump. The filters get clogged after a few changes, so, to make them last longer, I cut up a coupe of old socks, and put the cartridge down inside the sock and hold it n with a rubber band. Then, screw on the top and lower the whole thing down into the tank. Makes it easier to clean and then, set the cartridge out on some yard debris, and the ants clean them up pretty well, so they are usable again.   ;D  The washed off pop water gets poured over the outside tomatoes that are pot planted with dirt. Also, we have a few pot planted peppers on the ground, inside the green house. They also get that poop water. Must be 40 blossoms on the pepper plants, right now, along with about 15 peppers. The peppers are really tasty.

I add water every week or so, because of the evaporation, and, sometimes forget to shut it off, and, over flow the tank  :-[  Last time, one of the fish jumped out. I found it still alive, covered with dirt, so, washed it off and did some CPR. After an hour, I decided it was futile, and, the animal lover wife was happy that I tried so long.Then,I let her eat it for supper. She was hesitant, but, afterwards, she said it tasted GREAT.  ;D
 Fish are over a pound or so, now. I need to get the second tank built in place, so we can start cycling the water. Pumps are in the crate that should finally be here, in a few days.

Still having trouble starting plants from seed. We have no east-south facing windows in the house to start seeds in.  No grow lights, either.

Still waiting for that crate with the purple LEDs. It finally got picked up, yesterday, so, figure another 15 days until I get it.  Have 5 modules of Nissan Leaf Battery modules in the crate. They are 7.7V @ 33A, so, 2 modules will make 15.2V packs for the house battery set. IF they work out, I want to buy a whole battery and use it for my house and my electric bike-motorcycle. These are used, but, should last me forever, being high Amp and lithium chemistry. They are pretty big pouch cells, though.

On another thread, I was informed by Xeonpony to use shower heads for the growbed drains, to break up the solid stream of water and add air to the water tank.  Shower heads are hard to find here, except for the suicide shower heads, so, yesterday, while in town, I bought a few ¾" PVC pipe caps, and drilled some small holes in them. Works like a champ. Thanks for that idea.

Rainy season is about to begin, so, another chapter of modding to keep the plants going.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version