Author Topic: unsure about stalling  (Read 1607 times)

artv

unsure about stalling
« on: May 08, 2010, 12:06:08 PM »
Hi everyone I've been reading about stalling,but not getting a clear understanding.......is it when your drawing more than the gen can produce ,that's to say the opposing magnetic fields the coils are producing is stronger than the rotors' magnetic field causing it to stop turning?.....artv

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: unsure about stalling
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 09:55:02 PM »
Put your feet up and read the following.................
http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/articles/DonBrown1.asp

catch up with you in a few days when you have digested it, PS I have read it six time and still learning.

allan
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

artv

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
thanks for the reply Allan........seems to me these machines are design to operate at an average wind speed for the optimun output .........(oh by the way very good link will read it again and again)....low rpm, not so good ,mid rpm good, high rpm not so good....too high rpm either furl (turn the wind off) or melt the windings........is this basically correct?....artv

freejuice

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 11:48:04 PM »
Hi Artv,
I still find myself asking a lot of questions, but there are two publications which will really help. First, buy the wind turbine book offered on this web site... it is very informative and is very detailed.
 Also buy the latest edition by Hugh Piggott, essentially he is the fellow who got this whole DIY home brew wind generator industry going. These two books contain a wealth of information. The Dan's have a way to build turbines and Mr. Piggott has his particular way too, but the basics remain the same.  However I feel both manuals compliment each other, it would be easy to combine both methods to build a hybrid of your own.

For me it took quite a while for all this information to sink in, and how all the interrelationships worked, many of the gurus along the way helped, especially Flux, Tom, Ghurd, VolvoFarmer and countless others..without them I could not have pulled it off.
 Until you can get your hands on the manuals, keep using the search function on this site.
 All the best,
 Gavin

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 03:04:32 AM »
Hi everyone I've been reading about stalling,but not getting a clear understanding.......is it when your drawing more than the gen can produce ,that's to say the opposing magnetic fields the coils are producing is stronger than the rotors' magnetic field causing it to stop turning?.....artv

No, stall relates to the propeller and has absolutely nothing directly to do with the alternator. You seem to have got some mixed idea concerning armature reaction, this doesn't cause stall, in fact if you push the issue far enough it causes the alternator to turn easier than it should and will cause it to not load the prop as much as it should. if you put enough torque into an alternator it will still turn even up to the point where it makes far more than it can stand and goes up in smoke.it's not that alternator that stalls.

For every wind speed there is an optimum power the blades can produce, you get best results when you extract this exact power. if the alternator is too fast the blades run off the peak of the power curve. if too slow the same thing happens, there is a band where it works fairly well. If you run too fast you are limited by drag on the blades and if you run too slow the angle of attack increases to the stall point and the blades fail to produce lift and the power out drops like a stone.

artv

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 07:51:40 PM »
thanks for the replies......... I should clairify something first My idea is to build a 100' tower maybe less maybe more depends on wind speed as I go up I don't intend to put gen up there but have drive shaft return to ground level, the  biggest fastest blades I can incorporate that won't blow apart and use gearing to control rpm (on generator end)...when I say blades  thinking of savinous would probably be more stable, at a 100' the wind never stops blowing... just have tach operated disconnect when speed gets to high............I was under the impression that drawing more than the gen could produce caused the blades to stall.......thanks for clearing this up your replies are greatly appreciated..........artv

Perry S

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 10:59:25 PM »
As you continue reading and asking questions you will soon realize how unworkable that particular idea is. Seems like a lot of new guys come up with that idea. They either get bored and go away or stay and learn and embrace well known working designs.
Stick with the learning.

Perry

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 11:19:19 PM »
I should clairify something first My idea is to build a 100' tower maybe less maybe more depends on wind speed as I go up I don't intend to put gen up there but have drive shaft return to ground level, the  biggest fastest blades I can incorporate that won't blow apart and use gearing to control rpm (on generator end)...when I say blades  thinking of savinous would probably be more stable, at a 100' the wind never stops blowing... just have tach operated disconnect when speed gets to high............I was under the impression that drawing more than the gen could produce caused the blades to stall.......thanks for clearing this up your replies are greatly appreciated..........artv

There are so many problems with that idea no one could put them in a novella.

You need to spend more time reading about Real Working projects.  And Math.
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller