Author Topic: Group buy on windmill rotors & magnets.  (Read 6587 times)

drew4justice

Group buy on windmill rotors & magnets.
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:32:34 PM »
I'm in the market to create an Axial Flux HAWT windmill based on Hugh Pigott's design.
I'm having some rotor parts cut very soon, but I was told that the 4x8 sheet of 1/4" CRS needs to be ordered and if I order 7 sets of rotors (consuming the sheet), the price would be reduced.
The rotors are shown in the link below.  Please understand I am not a draftsman.  The qty is in () at the top of each part.  The entire set includes: (2) 12" rotor plates, 1 with 4 1/2 inch holes, another with 8.  (2) hubs, both with 1/2" lug holes, one with a 2.75 center hole.  (1) stator mount w/1.25 center hole.  (1) magnet template for 2x1 magnets. (1) 3" dia. disc, and (1) 2.75" dia disc.   One item that is not shown in the photo is a bracket to weld the posts together and hold the furling unit off at the proper angle.   Everything here is cut from 1/4" steel and can be shipped to your door for $130! IF I get enough orders.

As for the magnets, we can get them for $5.60/ea if we order over 100 pcs!!

If you're interested in this group purchase, please send me your contact information, including address and phone so I can keep track of everyone.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc320/drewbad/rotors.jpg

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?

drew4justice

Re: Group buy on windmill rotors & magnets.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:39:35 PM »
It is not unlike that.  But wow, I didn't mean to introduce any type of contention or competition.   I am trying to help myself and others get started.  I'm excited to build this system.  To host: If my post was inappropriate, please remove if necessary.

Drew

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:55:34 PM »
To host: If my post was inappropriate, please remove if necessary.

Drew

Drew;

No worries;l

Tom

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:06:32 PM »
Our group may be interested if we can get the cash together.
How can you suggest shipping  cost when when you haven't said where you are? Or know where we are?
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

drew4justice

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 08:22:19 AM »
I'm keeping it simple--I built in a flat $30 shipping rate.  I'm sure I'll eat some cost in some shipments, but will probably over estimate in others.  so far, I have 4 responses.  2 haven't sent addresses yet, but the others are from WV and FL.  With the weight of the metal, I'm sure it'll be close to $30 from OH to FL and not far off from OH to WV.  I will also have a four and a half hour round trip drive to pick the parts up so I'm calling the $30 shipping "fair".  (I don't have the exact weight, but I produced a set last year but I had to sell them due to personal finances.  It was considerable weight.)  I'm ready to try it again and this (group buy) is a way to lower to cost for me and everyone else.  I paid much more last year for a single set and never even made it around to purchasing the magnets, hub or wire.
Here's a photo of 4 of those 9 parts: http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc320/drewbad/rotors2-1.jpg

Thank you,

Drew

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:00:09 AM »
Hi,

There are quite a few non-US members of this board.  Possibly worth being clear if you intend to include or exclude them.  I'm assuming exclude but I may be wrong...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

drew4justice

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:06:20 AM »
Oh yes!  Quite right, this is for the CONUS area only.  I can't ship overseas.   Well, I guess I could but it would probably be a very great cost.  

Thank you for asking and clearing that up.  I appreciate it.

luv2weld

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 10:59:30 AM »
Drew,
You mentioned a magnet template.
And you said everything is cut from 1/4 inch steel.
Really not a good idea to have a magnet template made of steel!!!!
Should be something non-magnetic, like plastic, aluminum, wood, etc.

Ralph
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

drew4justice

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 11:04:42 AM »
Drew,
You mentioned a magnet template.
And you said everything is cut from 1/4 inch steel.
Really not a good idea to have a magnet template made of steel!!!!
Should be something non-magnetic, like plastic, aluminum, wood, etc.

Ralph

Agreed.  It is to be used as a template to trace on wood or other material.  It was easy enough for my fabricator to cut so I thought I'd include it. 

Thank you Ralph.

Drew