Homebrewed Electricity > Solar

Why 36 Cells per panel?

<< < (2/6) > >>

SparWeb:
...maybe we can edit a link to it into a library thread / FAQ at some point...

-And perhaps include a simple graph of the current dropping off as the voltage gets higher than 16V or so, too.  Such graphs are included with most large commercial solar panels, now, to help NEC code installations and setting the MPPT, but the info is also good for answering this kind of basic question and explaining how they work.

Nothing40:
"Blocking diode uses up 0.7A."  -I think ghurd meant 0.7V    ;)

==
(Yes!  Thanks!
G-)

DanG:
You can make identical sub-panels of less cells, say 6 to 10 cells each, and place them in series to build useful voltages - no law says you have to put 36 or 40 cells on one sheet of glass. I think I would rather repair or refurbish smaller panels, especially if it involves a complete do-over.

DanG:
And a quick note - custom voltage home made panels would only play nice with like panels unless specs were hashed out before hand. A six cell panel would make a nice heating element cludged in to the wrong circuit.

tecker:
 Most commercial panels pump out 19 to 21 volts to get the higher amperage . The panel itself has to conduct as well as produce power . So you have to think in terms of the panel has to conduct 12 and produce power over that to get the cells to exchange ions in the solution. The added  voltage (or pressure )get's translated into amperage to your work . One of the fun things to to with solar panels in  charging circuits is to add inductive loads in line . Put some 12 volt fans in series (with some by pass switches in there as well )on the charge line and watch the sun play with the circuit . You'll find the charging is not that much different on sunny days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version