Author Topic: Portable Solar Power Unit  (Read 3541 times)

Texassurvivor

Portable Solar Power Unit
« on: December 10, 2008, 08:54:57 PM »
There is a business in Texas that makes portable solar power units with several sizes. I haven't bought anything yet. I have a small yard with very little sun. I don't own so I cant install anything on the roof. My main purpose to have one of the units would be for emergency power. I am not sure of the size that I would need. It will take a long time before it pays for itself. the web site is . Any thought or opinons on it would be great. Is there something better?

Carl

this post was hidden as borderline spam on the old board got unhidden in the database transfer seems as how it got dragged back to the top i removed the link which no longer even pointed to anything topical.

Kurt.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:45:18 PM by kurt »

spinningmagnets

Re: Portable Solar Power Unit
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:31:41 PM »
I haven't owned a solar-PV panel yet, but it is in my plans.

I have often read about someone buying a cheap Harbor-Freight panel.

If I went out to a remote location, two of the things I would want as soon as possible would be lights at night and music. These can be accomplished with 12-volts, plus a 12-volt system could charge up re-chargeable batteries for flashlights and cell-phones.

I haven't researched the specifics of this, and I don't know the best way to do it. When I retire, I just planned on copying a successful 24/48-volt system, depending on the conditions of where I move to. best of luck...

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 02:31:41 PM by spinningmagnets »

hayfarmer

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:19:34 PM »
There is a business in Texas that makes portable solar power units with several sizes. I haven't bought anything yet. I have a small yard with very little sun. I don't own so I cant install anything on the roof. My main purpose to have one of the units would be for emergency power. I am not sure of the size that I would need. It will take a long time before it pays for itself. the web site is www.solarnation.com. Any thought or opinons on it would be great. Is there something better?

Carl
<HR>
No such site, makes the post pointless
<HR>

( time before it pays for itself.)  I have heard this comment for many people  that argue  "It will never pay for itself in your life time",Well brother we had a 

ice storm here in the east coast and once again grid power was down and once again neighbors came by to get water from my well and plug in extension cord

(300 feet) so his  2 chest  freezers with $1000 bucks of stuff in them wouldn't go bad. this time with gift card's to out back, The little light  bulb went off over 

head.Its done paid for it self in the aggravation many time over.

respectfully submitted

hayfarmer

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 02:26:40 PM »
There is a business in Texas that makes portable solar power units with several sizes. I haven't bought anything yet. I have a small yard with very little sun. I don't own so I cant install anything on the roof. My main purpose to have one of the units would be for emergency power. I am not sure of the size that I would need. It will take a long time before it pays for itself. the web site is www.solarnation.com. Any thought or opinons on it would be great. Is there something better?

Carl
<HR>
No such site, makes the post pointless
<HR>

( time before it pays for itself.)  I have heard this comment for many people  that argue  "It will never pay for itself in your life time",Well brother we had a 

ice storm here in the east coast and once again grid power was down and once again neighbors came by to get water from my well and plug in extension cord

(300 feet) so his  2 chest  freezers with $1000 bucks of stuff in them wouldn't go bad. this time with gift card's to out back, The little light  bulb went off over 

head.Its done paid for it self in the aggravation many time over.

respectfully submitted

hayfarmer
Could not have said it any better  ;D
ROI is a bean counters invention, or a way to gauge a certain level of costs.
When our went out and we had the morning coffee ready, THAT was when it paid for itself  ;)

Again Very well put.
Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Fused

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 04:06:22 PM »
I have a HF solar 45 watt configured to keep 2- 125Ah marine batteries charged up at 24v.
Its paid for its self just by being there for a back up to my freezer when power goes out.
I hate shopping so I take the wife once a month to stock up on food.
Without knowing I have a system ready for emergencies, I don't think Id go the route I do.
Just the comfort level of knowing my emergency back up is always ready, is worth the small investment to me.
I consider its paid for its self over the last 2 1/2 years just in gas money to town. (25 miles one way for a decent grocery store)
Plus, my system powers my 12x20 barn where I do most all my RE projects. I run all hand tools, saws, drill press ect to exercise the batteries.

Heck, just the fun of it is worth what I paid for it all.  ;D

Fused

hayfarmer

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 10:15:07 AM »
saw the neighbor that I lent the 20 amp circuit over extension cord during the grid failure this week  this morning ,and told me it saved the food in the deep freezers but didn't save the food in fridge in time.he was concerned about the forecast mon thru weds of more snow and unreliable grid. loaned him a 1500 watt  inverter I got off feebay that someone sold and said "wasen't performing " (they had it connected to 12 awg romex)  ::) what a steal. @ $20.
happy neighbor (potential convert to R.E.)  & happy feebay buyer.

hayfarmer

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 11:40:19 AM »
Here you go, one I made a couple of years ago.
Very easy to DIY.
http://www.gotwind.org/diy/Gotwind-DIY-solar-truck.htm

Ben.