Author Topic: Dissection of a wind/solar charge controller  (Read 3784 times)

Rover

Dissection of a wind/solar charge controller
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:40:45 PM »
The folllowing images depict a charge controler that came witjh one of my wind turbins ( a 450 W Chinese PMA). The Packge was called a "Hybrid" wind and solar, actualy the controller had inputs for both a 3 phase turbine and solar. I used it for about 6 months, never really trusting it. So while cleaning the shed this weekend, decided to take it apart

You will notice that the unit as a dump load on the right, it also has the ability to measure input voltage before cut-in...(hmmm think about that for a sec, needs to be rectified then read voltage, then have another diode befor the battery

This a shot with the case removed, notice the dump load (7 ft of 2 strand (nichrome ribon?, 1 ohm ), there is alos quite a bit of oxidation dust under the ribbon.

This badly drawn (ms paint) shows the wire tracing for the 5 bridge rectifiers. Notice that the dump load is activated by the microcontroller, but does not dump from the battery,dumps directly from source after the first set of rectifiers. The microcontroller  uses an Atmel ATMEGA48V-AU (8 bit, 8 channel 10 bit ADC) as the brain, there is also a 7805 regulator the board. (most of the controller parts are smd's and not salvagable)

Ok things for salvage.
1. 32x4 LCD display, with a serial 3 wire driver...should be able to use that  (10$ maybe)
2. 4 N Mosfets IRF3205 (Vdss 55V. ID 110A) ... might find a use (4 $ total)
3. 1 TIP2250 Darlingtom trans. (.50$)
4. Nice big heatsink (10$ maybe)
5.  5 KBPC3510W Bridge rectifiers (35A/1000V) (maybe 12$ total) .. could find a use

6. Dumpload No idea on that one.. but I'll keep it around

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

Rover

Re: Dissection of a wind/solar charge controller
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 03:09:16 PM »
OK the good and the bad.

The Good:
- Microcontroller driven.
- No no relays for the dump (mosfets used)
- Can measure voltage before cut-in
- Does measure current (resistor based shunt on the (-) side )

The Bad:
- Solar control is laughable, just dumps (definetly not mmpt, not even PWM) , 0 regulation (on/off basically)
- Dumps source, not off batteries... might be ok ... but not preffered
- Uknown quality of the dumpload... I don't like seeing oxidation dust
- Current/Voltage  measurement is for all sources, no seperation between wind and solar
- More diode drops than needed (but required for the voltage measurement and the way the dumpload is arranged)

Rover

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 06:16:44 PM »
Seems like the only thing you're missing now, are an Picaxe 20X2, and you have all you need to make your own 'hybrid' controller, where you are in full control of all the bells and whistles you'll ever need... ;D
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

Rover

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 06:27:23 PM »
Actualy I'm  I'm redesigning my current homebuilt controller to use the 8 core 32 bit propeller.... (fyi . that dissection was not one of he ones I have built... simply a demonstratikon of what is out there... luring the public)

the mosfets .. I can use... maybe the display , though I already have one....
Rover

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 07:03:30 PM »
I have thrown away more Displays than I can count. How do you hook them up so you can control them ?

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 03:00:35 AM »
"You will notice that the unit as a dump load on the right, it also has the ability to measure input voltage before cut-in...(hmmm think about that for a sec, needs to be rectified then read voltage, then have another diode befor the battery"

Not really.  No need for an extra diode drop.
Could do it with another bridge to the volt meter.

Looks like a typical Chinese engineering brain fart.

Of course it is 3AM...
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Rover

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 08:02:41 AM »
I have thrown away more Displays than I can count. How do you hook them up so you can control them ?

It all depends, if they have a driver chip (this one does) , makes life a lot easier but still no guarantee I'll be able to use it. I will still have to find some documentation on the driver for the pinouts and also have to find out what the serial commands/register map are. Wihout that I won't know what serial commands to sent it from microcontroller in order for it display characters etc.

Rover

Rover

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 08:17:45 AM »
I did manage to find the datasheet for the driver http://www.holtek.com/pdf/consumer/1621v270.pdf .

Now I just have to see if can trace the pins to the microcontroller etc.. the unit has an unmarked pig tail.
Rover