Author Topic: Supermileage Series Hybrid Car  (Read 11169 times)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Supermileage Series Hybrid Car
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 03:59:32 PM »

Us old farts put a lot of importance on porting and polishing the intake and exhaust ports and manifolds.
Like a hydro system, it is difficult to make power if the 'stuff' can't get in and out of the cylinder fast and easy.

I did not see anything ruling out NOS.
It is non flammable so it can not be a fuel.  ;)
G-

Wow Glen with that Nitrous he could do a quarter mile in nine flat. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous

what do yall think about removing the stock muffler ? I think the engine can breathe better without any restriction to the exhausting process , or is that not allowed?

I agree that polishing the the intake and exhaust ports is a good idea.

Some sort of back pressure is needed for better burn. With a little bit of back pressure more unburned carbons are mixed with incoming, so even with NO real muffler to speak (or hear of) something even a small pipe leading the hot exhaust away would be a good thing.
Hand lapping the valves will help with a good seating and doesn't take that long.

Cheers;
Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »
From my research with in hub motors for the drive, I have found that most of them are 36v, not 24v, and that they are all sensored brushless 3 wire motors.  The issue with this is that my speed controllers are only good for 24v, and castle creations only makes one sensored controller.  There are a few 24v versions out there, but the performance would be sub par.  I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with in hub motors on bikes, and how much power they draw under use.  The car that this will go in will be about 200lbs with the driver, so it should be easy to move.

Hub motors come in both brushed and brushless and the voltage specs are from the manufacturer.  It doesn't mean you can't run them at a higher voltage and people are doing it every day.
Brushless is usually considered more efficient but I can't remember the amount.
I have a 24v brusehd Heinzmann that's been run on nothing but 36v and I have a friend that's got a 36v brushless Crystalyte that's seen nothing but 72v.

I hinted at this before.. I'll be more blunt this time.
The folks over at endless-sphere would probably be all over this project and there's already a few hybrid builds there.
Join up and ask away about hub motors, controllers, and batteries.

Moderator: If I violated TOS by posting the link let me know and I'll delete it.

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2010, 07:00:33 PM »
Hi guys! 

I finally made it back from the competition and we did really good :)

After driving the car for 5 complete runs of 9.6 miles, we managed fuel economies of:

661 mpg
679 mpg
698 mpg
777 mpg
630 mpg

That is pretty impressive for a car that weighs 300 lbs and the engine was bone stock.  We ended up taking 9th place out of 31 entries.  Only 15 cars made it through the technical inspection ( safety stuff ).
The old Penn State record was 607 mpg, so we did very good.  One modification that seemed to help was removing the very dense stock air filter.

On the 6th run, our back tire blew out while we were going 27 mph and ended up calling it quits for the day.

While I was there, I asked about the series hybrid idea, and the officials said no :(  But they might change the rule.

Ideas for next year include:
smaller bore
fuel injection
electric super charger (approx 800 watts of available power from the accessories battery.)
lighter body
much much more!

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 11:36:01 AM »
Thanks for the update taylor and congrats!!!

taylorp035

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 10:10:51 PM »
Here are some videos (it took about 20 hours for my computer to process them and to upload them).  More are coming tommorow as I upload them.  Quite frankly, it is boring to watch more than I posted here because each lap took 6 minutes to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzMAXjN5ROc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woS_yOu1gAc&feature=related

2dumb2kwit

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 06:48:17 PM »
 I'm a complete dummy, when it comes to the stuff you guys are talking about, but I know a little something about ICE's. Looking at your rules, if you are running a stock engine, you're giving up a ton. Check into friction coatings, etc. Chec some of the go-cart racing sites......they have tons of stuff available for the briggs motors.(Cams, carbs, etc..)

taylorp035

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 02:25:15 PM »
You are right. The stock brigs is about 9% efficient, which is horrible.  We have an engine for next year that is a smaller bore, chromed in the sleeve, and over head valve.  Plus, the compression is going way up to make better use of the fuel.  Also we are adding a fuel injection system and possibly a vacuum to lower the exhaust pressure.  Now we just need to get our dyno working so we can measure some real numbers.

Last year's car weighed about 170lbs empty and this years car will weigh less than 80lbs, maybe 70 if everything goes right.  Also we are getting ceramic bearings for everything and doing some testing on some tires for the least rolling resistance.  The nice thing is that our budget is rather large, as we already have about $2,000 of parts lined up.