Author Topic: MiniWind RC2200-105 generator.  (Read 4050 times)

alan51

MiniWind RC2200-105 generator.
« on: April 06, 2011, 08:06:04 AM »
I recently bought a second miniwind generator RC2200-105 which unfortunately happened to be damaged!!
It needs a new end plate or else I have to weld the broken one but I'm afraid it is not aluminum!!
Refer to attached photo.
2623-0
Any ideas please?

edit: Fixed the pic so it would show up in post :-)
Bruce S

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:09:09 AM by Bruce S »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: MiniWind RC2200-105 generator.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:16:24 AM »
ah.........
not much to go on.
what is broken?

alan51

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 08:31:33 AM »
Hi there, thanks for your interest.
The picture shows the good end plate. The damaged one has a crack and needs welding. I gave it to a friend of mine to try to weld it but he is afraid it is not aluminium!!

bj

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »
Alan  still need a bit more info.  Will a magnet attract to it?  Also, what is the fear with it not being aluminum?  My only guess
at this point would be magnesium.  Also dimensions (rough) might help.  It doesn't appear to be a complicated piece, so one
could possibly be made.
Only guessing at this point
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

alan51

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:36:35 AM »
Hello bj,
thanks for your interest.
I wish it was aluminium so that it could be easily welded. What about magnesium? can it be welded? what rods should one use?
please follow this link for all dimensions.

http://www.renewablecomponents.com/images/RC2200-105.pdf

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:00:57 AM »
You really need to know what is made of before welding. If you get white sparks when you try to grind it then it may have a fairly large magnesium content. Magnesium can be welded with magnesium rods but I seriously doubt that it will me magnesium.

If it is some zinc based diecast alloy then it will be a gamble to weld it, it will probably fall to bits. it can be done with some welding processes but usually you need to support it to prevent it all collapsing in a molten pool. If it is magnesium and only a small casting have a sand bucket ready if it goes up.

Flux

alan51

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »
Hello Flux,
thanks for your interest and great ideas!!
Any ideas on how to check if it is aluminium? In the meantime I am waiting for an answer since  I left it with a friend of mine to see what he can do........
I tried to go for a new one but got no help from the supplier!!! 

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »
I presume it is some light alloy, that should be fairly obvious. If it was a sand casting and has been machined then it is likely an aluminium alloy and will weld.

If it is a die casting which will be to size with little machining required it is less likely to be aluminium as the dies need to stand a much higher temperature than zinc based diecast( monkey metal or whatever you call it there ). Usually the clue is that it is heavier with a high zinc content.

If it is a true aluminium alloy die casting then again it will weld. You could scrape a few chips off and find a lab to analyse it possibly. An experienced welder would probably have a good idea by looking at it but I can't help beyond this.

Doesn't look too complicated to machine out of a solid if you are really stuck. best of luck.

Flux

alan51

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 01:12:29 PM »
It is machined for sure as I can see the cutting signs left from the lathe on the inside of the plate. Anyway I will have to wait for the result from my friend, will let you know how things go,
thanks for now,
alan51.

tanner0441

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 03:43:02 PM »
Hi

If it is magnesium you need to make sure there is no oxide of any kind on it, or the rods, and the shielding gas needs to be pure with no blended gas what so ever. You can use argon.  Helium may make the arc too hot.

I have welded magnesium and it is not always successful and can crack or distort on cooling.
I would go for turning another one out of a fresh aluminium billet.

Brian

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 04:35:02 PM »
It's either aluminum or cast aluminum, I don't think anybody is making small windmill parts from magnesium or titanium, from the looks of it, it's just fabricated from aluminum plate and round stock.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

alan51

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 05:39:04 PM »
Welding on the aluminium plate was successful and finally I got this 2kw miniwind generator running.
I had to increase the pitch on the blades since it was not starting in low winds. Now it is starting in approximately 4 to 5m/s.
This is the first time that I'm running a high voltage pmg (300V), maybe it's normal that they do not start at low wind speeds.
Thanks a lot for all your help.