Author Topic: Question about Ghurd Controllers  (Read 4014 times)

freejuice

Question about Ghurd Controllers
« on: June 01, 2010, 07:58:57 PM »
Hi Mr Ghurd and others
Since I have the 17foot 48v bug in a severe way, I need to ask a question about those good ghurd controllers

First, I used the search function and found some info that the ghurd controllers could be used on a 48v system...to keep it simple it was recommended to use two controllers on each set of 24 volt battery banks.
 My question is, probably pretty basic for electrical guru's but I need someone to reassure my lack of electrical knowledge.
 So, is it possible to have both controllers to dump into the same set of resistors or would each 24v controller need its own set of resistors? I have a good feeling its ok to do this, but like I say, I'm not positive about some of my electrical assumptions
 Thanks,
 Gaviny

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Question about Ghurd Controllers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 02:18:49 AM »
I pretty much try to dissuade people from using my controller for 48V.

It would be OK to use 2 for 48V, each on a string of 24V.
It would be better to use 4, each on a string of 12V.

Each controller in such a situation will absolutely Require its own dump resistors.

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

freejuice

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 07:37:43 AM »
Thanks Ghurd,
Better safe than sorry....  I like asking a pro before doing something dumb. I will cruise around with the search function some more for 48v controllers. If I come up empty handed, I will give it a go with two controllers...I think I might have a couple of them lying around ;D
 All the best,
 Gavin

freejuice

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 10:44:50 PM »
Hi Glen,
 One more question
Do you have a close up of the 24v configuration?
 I've been to your home page on the controller and I think I have information  correct for a proper assembly, but I'm also gleening information from various web sites understanding how to identify some diodes ( I'm far from knowing scematics off the top of my head)
 I found one here at this site, where you introduced the controller...a thread about 5 pages long, but never found a 24v config closeup, which was completed.

Thanks,
 Gavin

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 06:14:43 AM »
Hi Glen,
 One more question
Do you have a close up of the 24v configuration?
 I've been to your home page on the controller and I think I have information  correct for a proper assembly, but I'm also gleening information from various web sites understanding how to identify some diodes ( I'm far from knowing scematics off the top of my head)
 I found one here at this site, where you introduced the controller...a thread about 5 pages long, but never found a 24v config closeup, which was completed.

Thanks,
 Gavin
Juice;

I may be off my rocker here but I believe I have the only one Glen has built?

Technically still in beta test.

Others certainly may have modified the kit but as far as I know I have the only manufacturers 24 volt version.

It has been working fine since I installed it but only actually became active on the day I installed it. That day I let the Outback charge the batteries while I had wind and solar incoming at about 1100 watts total charging. The controller kept the voltage between 28.6 and 28.8 quite well for a couple hours.  I considered that to be the successful Alpha Test.

Just the info from here.

Tom

freejuice

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 08:17:32 AM »
Hi Tom,
 Thanks for the info.
The kits I have came with a 24v conversion ( a few extra diodes etc.)
If I understand the information correctly on the instruction sheet, they appear easy enough to assemble but I'm giving myself a crash course on diode identification, direction of current (cathode, anode stuff).  One or two diodes appear to be the same....but I'm sure I'm possibly overlooking sublte differences. LOL, I was just wanting to make sure I was doing things right before the magical pop & wisp of blue smoke appeared.....lol.
I remember someone saying in the forum it was a pain in the rear to get a photo of something so small without it being fuzzy...so I wont bother you folks too much about it :)

They are sweet little kits and not very expensive either, if I smoke one or two in the process no big deal, I will get a few more....I will call it a learning curve as I enhance my electrical skills. ;D
 All the best,
 Gavin

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 08:53:29 AM »
Tom has the first 24V version on Steroids, to use a Huge single load driven by a monstrous IGBT, and it is the Alpha Test.

There are many Regular 24V versions in use.  I can not find a decent close up pic.  And do not have a completed 24V PCB here to photograph.

So I sort of made one...
The main pic is missing a few parts, the lower right pic has the additional ZD and cap standing up.

I made the "empty holes" a bit too small for the ZD3 and cap.  Usually.  Sometimes they both fit.
Piggy-Back the cap on the diode if they do not.

When installing parts standing up, orient them so if they twist or turn, they can not short against something they are not already electrically connected to.

And Never determine YOUR proper resistor values from a photo!
I use this online resistor calculator,
http://www.dannyg.com/examples/res2/resistor.htm

This sketch may help too.
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww20/ghurd1/Stray%20Pics/24V.gif

Gavin- Do you have the extra / seperate little 24V parts packets?  
OK- I just got the "new post while you were typing warning" and see you do have the 24V parts packets.
The 12V version uses two 5.1V Zeners (they are the same).

The 24V version uses a different value ZD1 and adds a ZD3 and cap in the empty holes.
Also R1 and RX values are changed.
They are in the little 24V parts packet.

G-
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 08:57:59 AM by ghurd »

freejuice

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 09:51:14 AM »
Glenn,
 Thanks a million! This is wonderful! I hope I wasn't too much of a pain in the....
Everything looks like it will work...I was a little off course....I was wondering what to do with that little diode in the 24v bag....while you mentioned "piggybacking" it all now makes sense!

LOL, maybe this thread needs to be changed to " Ghurd's Controller, An Electrical Pictorial For Dummies"
Thanks again!
 Gavin

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 10:46:48 AM »
No problem.
I wish I had a better pic of a 24V.

The 24V instructions on my site are a bit outdated concerning the part numbers.

I expect your 24V packet(s) has:
1N4746 Zener for ZD1.
1N4743 Zener for ZD3 (for the empty holes).
22K for RX.
10K for R1.
and the tiny extra cap.

G-

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »
Tom has the first 24V version on Steroids, to use a Huge single load driven by a monstrous IGBT, and it is the Alpha Test.

There are many Regular 24V versions in use.  I can not find a decent close up pic.  And do not have a completed 24V PCB here to photograph.

So I sort of made one...
The main pic is missing a few parts, the lower right pic has the additional ZD and cap standing up.

I made the "empty holes" a bit too small for the ZD3 and cap.  Usually.  Sometimes they both fit.
Piggy-Back the cap on the diode if they do not.

When installing parts standing up, orient them so if they twist or turn, they can not short against something they are not already electrically connected to.

And Never determine YOUR proper resistor values from a photo!
I use this online resistor calculator,
http://www.dannyg.com/examples/res2/resistor.htm

This sketch may help too.
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww20/ghurd1/Stray%20Pics/24V.gif

Gavin- Do you have the extra / seperate little 24V parts packets?  
OK- I just got the "new post while you were typing warning" and see you do have the 24V parts packets.
The 12V version uses two 5.1V Zeners (they are the same).

The 24V version uses a different value ZD1 and adds a ZD3 and cap in the empty holes.
Also R1 and RX values are changed.
They are in the little 24V parts packet.

G-

Yeah, be careful that TomW character is a know liar, card cheat and fornicator.

I know him well.

He is just not reliable.

Buddy [Toms K-9 using his laptop]

Still waiting for my kibble and it is 11AM that is just criminal...

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 12:27:08 PM »
Hi Buddy,

The first half of Tom's 24V circuit is a standard 24V version.
The extra board in the box and IGBT are enduring the Smoke Containment Test.
If they fail, the 1st board is still usable for a dump load controller.

If he doesn't get the kibbles to you soon, try "marking your territory" on his modem.
G-

freejuice

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 03:39:51 PM »
No problem.
I wish I had a better pic of a 24V.

The 24V instructions on my site are a bit outdated concerning the part numbers.

I expect your 24V packet(s) has:
1N4746 Zener for ZD1.
1N4743 Zener for ZD3 (for the empty holes).
22K for RX.
10K for R1.
and the tiny extra cap.

G-

Hi Glenn,
That is the 24v kit I have. I really like the resistior page you attached..nice. In fact I was trying to read the resistor colors from the photos...fatal mistake #2..lol.
I was at another site which had a color chart...so I was doing the math on the resistors not shown...thanks for the information...boy oh boy was I heading for a train wreck!

Buddy,
I'm sure you are a good rabbit/squirrel chasing machine but Tom is a great guy, he has helped me a lot throughout my wind turbine adventures and has never steered me wrong!

Since you are a good looking canine, you probably get off light with ol' Tom...he's probably too kind for you...and you're complaining about your lunch time?
Just keep on complaining about the kindness of Tom and you might be finding your next meal at the end of some tracks...I wouldn't blame him one bit.