Author Topic: voltage control circuit please  (Read 2546 times)

snake21

voltage control circuit please
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:38:26 PM »
hi friends,i have just completed the construction of my small 12v wind turbine.i used 2 ghurd controller for lvd and dump load controller.

i was wandering if there is a circuit which can regulate voltage.

for example,if my wind turbine is putting 18v,the regulator will limit it to 16v.  or if the turbine is putting 10v,the circuit will convert it to 16v,

is there any such circuit?

thanks

bzrqmy

Re: voltage control circuit please
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:20:05 PM »
Yep,  It's called a battery.  The battery is going to try to "Regulate" the voltage to 12V.  You should study charging curves of 12V batteries so you can set your LVD and dump controller to the correct values for the type of battery you are using.  You will not see 16V out of a small 12V turbine unless is is out of control and your dump circuit is broken.  The only time you see those kind of voltages is in an open circuit situation where the battery is disconnected.  Do not do this with your Ghurd controllers connected or you may let the smoke out of them.

Good Luck.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 10:09:41 AM »
Yep,  It's called a battery.  The battery is going to try to "Regulate" the voltage to 12V.  You should study charging curves of 12V batteries so you can set your LVD and dump controller to the correct values for the type of battery you are using.  You will not see 16V out of a small 12V turbine unless is is out of control and your dump circuit is broken.  The only time you see those kind of voltages is in an open circuit situation where the battery is disconnected.  Do not do this with your Ghurd controllers connected or you may let the smoke out of them.

Good Luck.

Correct.

Do not connect any controller to a open voltage wind turbine!

" Do not do this with your Ghurd controllers connected or you may let the smoke out of them."
'May' should 'WILL let the smoke out of them'.

Wind Controllers connect to the battery.

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 10:35:13 PM »
hi friends,i have just completed the construction of my small 12v wind turbine.i used 2 ghurd controller for lvd and dump load controller.

Yes, and you have already built it, it's called a Ghurd Dumpload controller.

Darren73

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 07:01:18 AM »

for example,if my wind turbine is putting 18v,the regulator will limit it to 16v.  or if the turbine is putting 10v,the circuit will convert it to 16v,

thanks

The circuits you are asking about are buck / boost regulators. Flux has done some good work on these and MPPT type circuits.