Author Topic: steam turbine  (Read 2593 times)

artv

steam turbine
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:30:36 PM »
Hi all ....just picked up an old circulating pump and rad 1/1/2 horse .the rad is" 54,... 1/2 inch tubes"............. can I use this to spin a turbine comparable to a average 20mph wind.............got tons of wood ..........so heat is no problem

harley1782000

• I thought so too.....
Re: steam turbine
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:50:32 PM »
I was going to dabble in steam too, But I back down from it till I could read up on it more.  Things can explode very fast with steam.  Plus a homemade boiler is just not very trust worthy.  If you are going to keep going with the project I would try to find an old steam boiler.  Just safety first.

Jim

condor

Re: steam turbine
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 03:47:22 AM »
The answer is yes. I cant remember the link off the top of my head. Search Tesla turbine associations.

The Tesla turbine is highly efficient. A 9 in turbine can produce 110 hp, and can be ran off steam or air. Cant remember the steam pressure but the air pressure is 150 psi continuous.

I work on steam turbines for power companies. they use a Tesla turbine hidden in their designs. Ca has given grant moneys to study the Tesla turbine too. All results are outstanding.

Whenever building a steam system it is important to remember a few things.
1) safety pop off valve some call it a pressure release valve. Look at your water heater it has one too. It is designed to open and dump pressure if the pressure gets too high. They are designed to release at 1/2 to 2/3 safe operation pressure to prevent explosions. mythbusters did a show on exploding water tanks. it is on you tube also.
2) make up water valve. A make up water valve adds water to the system as it evaporates. The simplest have a float like the float in your toilet.

3) expansion tank as the water heats it expands the pressure has to have a place to got 2 types are mainly used natural flow which is mounted at the high point of the system or blatter type which can be placed anywhere.

study and learn the rankin system before attempting a steam system please.