Author Topic: magnets on plane  (Read 1568 times)

KBwind

magnets on plane
« on: June 22, 2010, 11:45:42 AM »

Hello Otherpower,

I've been an avid reader of this forum for a few years now and first want to thank you for this incredible resource - there ain't nothing like it on the net. I've done a few wind energy projects in the past but am begining preparation for an interesting challenge and need some input. I have a good friend who has an off-grid property in rural Nicaragua. A few months ago I installed a basic solar PV set-up for one of the houses in the area but now they want to build a swimming pool and hot tub nearby. I've figured that a solar array along with a wind turbine would be sufficient in meeting the power demand and I've done small wind surveys for the times I've been there. Its on the pacific coast and I've seen sustained 10 m/s winds during the dry season.  I am planning on building a turbine based around a diy axial flux type alternator much like the Otherpower 20 footer. The courier service in Nicargua isn't what it is here in North America so my question is - are there any issues with bringing a good amount of rare earth magnets in my checked bag on an international flight. I am not 100% sure of the magnet sizes I would be using but lets assume I would neet to bring 40 1.5x3x0.75 (inch) magnets. Has anyone out there brought rare earth magnets on a plane?
Any and all input/experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

zap

• There's an app for that
Re: magnets on plane
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 05:05:12 PM »
You need to find the regulations for whatever carrier you intend to use.  Many countries adopt the FAA rules but not all.

Normally, as long as the magnetic field strength is below a certain gauss outside the package, you can transport it.

There's a pdf at this FAA site:
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/22492