Author Topic: Ideas for How to make an oil skimmer for the Gulf of Mexico  (Read 1819 times)

willib

• SuperHero Member
First and foremost is to make this out of readily available stuff , so we will use two 55 gallon drums , floating on the water , rotating towards each other at the top.

Each one will have a rod installed through the center lengthwise. and be connected together with two  4 by 4s by 8 or 10 feet long. and shall pivot up for transport by boat , to the site of use.

Each barrel shall have an absorbent material attached and i was thinking it should be about  2" thick , to allow for the ridges in the barrels , and if you offset them so the ridges don't line up that would be better.

The idea is to have the two 55 gal. drums rotating against each other at the top , and collect the sludge as it oozes off either end.

The 4 by 4s shall have a slot at  the connection to the front barrel of sufficient length as to allow the two barrels to be pulled together by two springs  of unknown origin. Need some spring ideas..

The barrel closest to the boat shall have a motor attached by a automotive timing belt to spin the barrels to collect the sludge.

The motor ... Hmm need some ideas for the motor.. because it has to have the same teeth as the belt.. unless we could pull the pulley off the  crankshaft of an old engine ,and also use the cam shaft pulley.

The motor has to have sufficient torque at a low speed also.

any ideas ?

PS  i forgot to mention that this is to be solar powered ... on the skimmer boat there is a couple of solar panels for shade and power for the batteries for the rotating drums.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:08:52 AM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: Ideas for How to make an oil skimmer for the Gulf of Mexico
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 02:43:31 AM »
Also since the skimmer will work as well from the back side , a shroud should placed around both barrels protruding into the water . so as the skimmer moves through the water the sludge is funneled into the scooping area by two arms that extend outward and into the water , at an angle to funnel the sludge.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:45:26 AM by willib »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:21:21 AM »
It seems as though they are having trouble concentrating the oil, This is the crux of my idea, picture those as two 55gal. drums with some material attached to the outside.
Tomorrow i will try my idea with oil and water.

The idea is for the two drums to float and pick up oil as they turn and concentrate it between the two drums, where it can be suctioned off .

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad129/rorobee_2010/100_0752.jpg

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 12:06:07 AM »
Cool... I like the prototype.  Did you try it yet?

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 01:11:11 AM »
I haven't had the chance to try it , with oil.
I need to put some more effective screws on there , the ones on there are not long enough .
and i need to find two springs of the right tension .